Went for a ride in the Shelby last night

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Great car from what I can tell. Pulls hard, looks good. A bit quiet for my taste, but that's easily remedied. Nice seats too. The side bolsters in all Cobras always seem to be killer and this version was no exception.

I can't really say how fast it was since I wasn't driving, but it's clearly more than enough to get you in trouble. I bet that thing'll be a blast to steer around a glassy smooth racetrack using your right foot. That solid axle should be money for the drag strip too. Brakes seemed good for hauling such a heavy beast down.

I was very impressed with how the blue/silver looked in person. It looked menacing. The stance just says "yes, I am a big heavy muscle car and I will eat you alive". There ain't nothin wrong with that :cheers

Just gotta find one at MSRP :bang

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
DBK said:
Great car from what I can tell. Pulls hard, looks good. A bit quiet for my taste, but that's easily remedied. Nice seats too. The side bolsters in all Cobras always seem to be killer and this version was no exception.

I can't really say how fast it was since I wasn't driving, but it's clearly more than enough to get you in trouble. I bet that thing'll be a blast to steer around a glassy smooth racetrack using your right foot. That solid axle should be money for the drag strip too. Brakes seemed good for hauling such a heavy beast down.

I was very impressed with how the blue/silver looked in person. It looked menacing. The stance just says "yes, I am a big heavy muscle car and I will eat you alive". There ain't nothin wrong with that :cheers

Just gotta find one at MSRP :bang

So Dave, when you get your order in are you going blue w white stripes or white w blue stripes?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It's gonna be a very tough call if I end up ordering one. It's one of those cars that looks wildly different depending on the combo, so I'm gonna have to check finalized versions out. I don't think you can go wrong with white/blue though and I'm just a sucker for that combo...

I want to see Valencia Yellow on the car. Should be LOUD.

DALLAS

GT Owner
Jan 28, 2006
White With Blue Vs Blue With White

HEY

I had the SHELBYGT500 White with blue...very nice color combo! Just seem to say "CLASS!"... a 1968ShelbyGT500......But now that i hav the BLUE with WHITE 05GT.....I hav got to find a BLUand WHI.....I am looking for a dealerwhip that would order at 10% above MSRP and I cannot find anyone that willl make the deal..BUT everyone has there favorite !.........DALLAS

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Well, I went down to the local Ford dealer today to see if I could find a car painted Vista Blue. As luck would have it there was a new Mustang on the lot painted Vista Blue. I really liked that blue! I am torn now between blue with white stripes or white with blue stripes. I have until tomorrow morning to decide. My order can still be changed in the morning. Wish I could order two and decide with them parked side by side... :thumbsup

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
Florida Chris said:
Well, I went down to the local Ford dealer today to see if I could find a car painted Vista Blue. As luck would have it there was a new Mustang on the lot painted Vista Blue. I really liked that blue! I am torn now between blue with white stripes or white with blue stripes. I have until tomorrow morning to decide. My order can still be changed in the morning. Wish I could order two and decide with them parked side by side... :thumbsup

This is so confusing. I have been told that you can't order the car in the way that you want it. :confused

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
92NSX said:
This is so confusing. I have been told that you can't order the car in the way that you want it. :confused

I suggest you try for a different dealer. My order went in yesterday exactly the way I specified it.

Every Ford dealer that won a President's Award (top 10% in each region for customer satisfaction) got a Shelby allocation. I don't know where these dealers are listed, but if you can figure that out it would be a good starting point on dealers to call...just a thought.

Best of luck. Don't give up!

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
The dealership I tried is the one I work at.
I have also been told that we will be getting a total of 4 of them.
I don't know if we are a Presidents Award winner or not since I don't work in the new sales department.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
My SVT dealer is getting #17. No word on price. I'm taking the GT in Saturday. I'll get details. They did say that they were getting around 30-40 cars and their waiting list has 120 on it. We will laugh about this a year from now.

I remember Ford announcing in mid 2004 that all Ford GTs were already sold.

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
Silverbullitt said:
They did say that they were getting around 30-40 cars and their waiting list has 120 on it

WOW !!! I thought we were doing alright getting the 4. :eek

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
92NSX said:
WOW !!! I thought we were doing alright getting the 4. :eek

4 is probably the first run for your dealer. My terminator was in the first run. My dealer said they were only getting 12. They received several other batches after the first one. My salesman also told me that they were only going to make 2000 terminators. This same dealer told me that they were only going to make 1000 GTs.

From now on I can wait 18-24 months to make my deal. I'll have to settle for driving my GT. I was originally going to buy a GT500 first, but when the final specs came out ant the curb weight was announced I decided to punt on the GT500 for now. I wonder how many will jump to the Z06 when pricing is about the same for both cars. I am a Ford Fanatic, but the high price of the GT500 with dealer markup has even made me think about the Z06 instead. I have never owned a Chevy, too scary.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I got to drive the GT500 at the press intro two weekends ago (I should have been on here a long time ago to pass on the news...but I've been swamped with various other chores).

Truthfully, there's an embargo until June 1, so I shouldn't be posting driving impressions until then. You guys already know it weighs a lot, but you can probably guess what the acceleration is like, even with that weight, when you have 485-plus hp. I put a bunch of the details (non-driving impression related) on my blog, but you guys probably know most of them by now.

I'm on the list to get one but I just bought a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T SE (one owner, factory plum crazy purple, loaded with options like A/C, hood pins, rear defrost, AM/FM, rim blow wheel, etc.) Anyway, there's just no way I can keep that car and also get the GT500, so I'm probably going to have to bail out (still a major Mopar guy at heart). But if I did get one, I was going to go white with blue stripes, thinking it would make a great contrast to my blue with white stripes GT.

I can also tell you that the gun-metal grey is very nice in person. I think it will end up being a popular color. Looks both bad-ass and classy at the same time. As a 1/3 to 1/4 price GT, it will make a lot of Ford performance fans very happy. :thumbsup

Last edited: