warning--gas cap risk

drive4fun

GT Owner
Sep 27, 2005
At a track session last week I noticed two of my friends' GTs were missing the gas cap seal--as my car was when it was delivered. If the seal is missing, rain water can leak past the gas cover and into your tank--causing a real nightmare for another friend of mine. Flip open your cap and look to see if there is a foam seal surrounding the filler hole--about 1/4" high. Your dealer will look up the part number. By my anecdotal count+
only 1 out of 5 GTs had the part when delivered. Why Ford has not notified owners to check is beyond me. Another note, my dealer insisted on the part being installed (stuck on) at the dealership --which took a full hour and a half-- in order to avoid the $25 cost of the part. For my friend, I just paid the frieght and spared him the trip to his dealer.

paulo5656

GT Owner
Feb 18, 2006
Please post pic's.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
This subject pops up from time to time. The foam gasket goes under the flange and is not visible from the top. There are not seals or gaskets visible when you pop open the fuel filler cover.

drive4fun

GT Owner
Sep 27, 2005
gas cap

stormcat--

mine is directly visible when looking at the filler hole with the cap flipped open. it is mounted on the surrounding metal, acting as a berm to guide water to the drain hole rather than allowing it to drain into the filler itself.

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Pictures would be great!!
John

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Any chance this was a runnnig production change versus a "they should all have it but few do" situation? Sounds like the kind of thing Ford realized during production ("Hmmm, probably should try to avoid letting water get in there...") and made a minor design change by simply adding the foam.

Regardless, pictures would be great.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Thanks Kayvan. Just checked...no foam for me!

I'll be ordering two sets.

Thanks again.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Okay, I just read the other thread more carefully and apparently you can't see the seal without pulling the fender, though certainly anyone could put another seal on top of the fender and just below the door.

Hmmm...

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
No Seal Needed

WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' SEAL

Been drivin' in all types of weather under all types of conditions - no water in the tank - period.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Geezz. you guys need to learn to read.. :biggrin As stated the gasket goes under the flange between the fender and is not visible fro the top. See Shadowman's comments if you don't believe me...:bored
http://fordgtforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=70197&postcount=45

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Geezz. you guys need to learn to read.. :biggrin As stated the gasket goes under the flange between the fender and is not visible fro the top. See Shadowman's comments if you don't believe me...:bored
http://fordgtforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=70197&postcount=45

Stormy - I know - I know.

My reference is to the 1st post in this thread. :bang

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
This topic has become another "FGT Urban Legend" as the half shaft bolts breaking every hole shot! :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Last edited:

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
So if this gasket is NOT visible with the gas cap open, how can check if your car is missing one ?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If you were missing this part, your filler tube would be rattling. Mr. Moderator, kill this thread please.

Aug 25, 2006
So if this gasket is NOT visible with the gas cap open, how can check if your car is missing one ?

I remain confident that it is not missing and furthermore IF it were it would have no cause and affect on the designed operation of the caps sealing filler necks ability to accept fuel while deverting unwanted water or ?

Now having said this I think the design is .. IMO .. interesting at best.... so much so that alternatives are being evaluated (this because of the failure on some to maintain vacuum within during the purge testing and not because of water concerns ) however for the time being it works as such I encourage all to leave well enough alone.

Lastly; in the thread as indicated within this one I purchased the seal as stated and it has nothing to do with sealing at the lid.

Takes care

Shadowman

drive4fun

GT Owner
Sep 27, 2005
gas cap

well it sure sounds like we are talking apples and oranges. I will get a photo to post. I do suggest you check a parts catalog at your Ford dealer and decide what the foam piece is--about 6" in circumferance----that they show sticking around the filler hole.... clearly visible when you pop open the gas cap....mine was "dealer installed"

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
well it sure sounds like we are talking apples and oranges. I will get a photo to post. I do suggest you check a parts catalog at your Ford dealer and decide what the foam piece is--about 6" in circumferance----that they show sticking around the filler hole.... clearly visible when you pop open the gas cap....mine was "dealer installed"

OK, part number please. That should confirm one way or the other. Thanks for making sure.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Hate to say it but many dealers aren't as educated on these cars as they should be.. So the fact that they put it there does'n't mean it's right.
They may have looked at the exploded view wrong.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Part #5G7Z-278A02-AA