Wanted to buy inexpensive safe car for daughter

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
Wife thinks she has unrealistic expectations and needs to come down a notch. Automatic, safe, reliable, under 12k. PM if you have something sitting around in So Cal or Vegas. I know all members on this site would likely have cared for their vehicles and I know a lot of you have a bunch of rides.

Longhorn

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Houston
Wife thinks she has unrealistic expectations and needs to come down a notch. Automatic, safe, reliable, under 12k. PM if you have something sitting around in So Cal or Vegas. I know all members on this site would likely have cared for their vehicles and I know a lot of you have a bunch of rides.
I'm in the same position. Looking for a similar car for my 22yr-old just daughter who just graduated UT Austin.
FYI - my research has steered me away from the likes of the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, etc. The high insurance premiums cancel out the fuel savings. I'm looking for a used Corolla/Accord/Whatever as a result.

Jess

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
My daughter has a diesel jetta (40mpg) which we bought new; it is already at 130 thousand miles with little or no issues. I was recently in Spain where these cars with the diesel engine are used as taxis....one was showing 350 thousand kilometers. And because of the side airbags,insurance is reasonable.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
If you want to stay American... For $11,000, I bought a silver Ford Focus in 2008. It has almost 90,000 miles on it already, and when I'm not driving it hard, it gets about 35 mpg. It has been incredibly reliable with no issues. For someone without a lot of money or knowledge of cars, it's very inexpensive to maintain. It's a safe car, handles well, and has a LOT of room in the trunk. Attractive looking as well. Although mine is a manual since that's what I prefer driving, most are automatic. I get more enjoyment out of this car than out of the Mercedes I used to own.

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
No question in my mind, an auction P-71 Crown Vic. BEST $3,000 I've EVER SPENT. They are perfectly maintained, and have all the protection you desire. Bought mine with 111,000 and have over 125k now. I love it.

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
No question in my mind, an auction P-71 Crown Vic. BEST $3,000 I've EVER SPENT. They are perfectly maintained, and have all the protection you desire. Bought mine with 111,000 and have over 125k now. I love it.

Love the "cop cars". Added benefit is people get out of your way!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
.......P-71 Crown Vic.......perfectly maintained, and have all the protection you desire.....

Especially if you get one with the cop still in it.

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Used Volvo XC90 - one of the safest vehicles ever built.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Used Volvo XC90 - one of the safest vehicles ever built.

M1 Abrams is safer, it probably can get rear ended by a large truck unfazed. :lol

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
Ok so who is selling something nice and wants to give me a deal?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
If you want to stay American... For $11,000, I bought a silver Ford Focus in 2008. It has almost 90,000 miles on it already, and when I'm not driving it hard, it gets about 35 mpg. It has been incredibly reliable with no issues. For someone without a lot of money or knowledge of cars, it's very inexpensive to maintain. It's a safe car, handles well, and has a LOT of room in the trunk. Attractive looking as well. Although mine is a manual since that's what I prefer driving, most are automatic. I get more enjoyment out of this car than out of the Mercedes I used to own.

Washed it yesterday! Easy car to care for...

Drove it home over Tioga Pass last Tuesday - handles great, lots of gears for the turns through the pass; wouldn't have believed how nimble it was.... Lots of fun :thumbsup

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
M1 Abrams is safer, it probably can get rear ended by a large truck unfazed. :lol
They do have a tendency to attract unwanted, soviet-made, anti-tank munitions (do we say soviet-made any more?), other than that, they are very safe and offer the added protection of a 105mm rifled cannon, a good deterrent for overly persistent suiters.

Personally, I'd go with the focus. I think it gets better gas millage too.