Viper Owners Invitational

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Awsum_GT's post in another thread got me wondering...How many guys from the Ford GT Forum are heading to VOI-9 in Las Vegas in September? What a great couple of months, the GT rally in August followed up by the Viper Invitational in September!

I'll be at both.

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
You've got too much time and money on your hands!

Feel free to lighten your burden of those two elements, by sending some my way.

Always willing to help.

I'll be at VO9 wit my GTS. See it in my avatar, wreeking havoc on the GT2?

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Nevada in Sept.

If you're gonna be in LV in September why not stay and run the Silver State Classic. The GT has been approved up to the 150 mph class without a rollcage. Check it out at http://sscc.us/

Last edited:

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
The Silver State Classic would be a fun event. I looked through the site and rules, but was unable to find any reference to the GT being eligable in any class above 125, where no roll bar is required. The Tech (not to exceed) speed for that class is 140 MPH. The Z2Z event also looks like a fun one. :banana Do you have psecific info on the GT's eligabilty?

Craig

I should change my avitar as Ford has since repaired the damage. I'll have to find one as good as bony's :cheers

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
SilverState Classic Challange

Craig, The race director has cleared the GT for the 150 class with a max speed of 165 mph. Of course you and the GT have to meet the other safety requirements. I'm on the Board of Directors for the SSCC and will see if i can get the race director etc. to post the GT is acceptable.
I've run a 95R in the past but this Sept. the GT will be going out.
It would sure be nice if we could get several GTs there this fall. If I can help with any info etc. write me here or at SSCCEAST@aol.com Larry

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
so does this mean that a 1st time participant at this event can run in the 150 mph GS class? me & my viper will be doin the bonneville 100 in july with www.openroadracing.com > i will be running in their grandsport 1 class which has a target average speed of 130 mph and a max tech speed of 168 mph. would this qualify to me run in this 150 mph GS class at the silver state as a 1st time participant with this organization? my viper has a roll bar, etc.

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Fast Freddy, To run the Grand Sport class (130-150) the Viper must adhere to the safety eq. requirements. (see the SSCC website) A competition license - SCCA, IMSA,Nascar etc. or recognized competition experience will get you into the Grand Sport division.
I am forwarding your question on the bonnieville 100 to the event director for a determination. You may also email him on this or any technical questions..

SSCC Event Director: Frank McKinnon
E-mail: car33@att.net

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Lgaruti - my car and all my safety equipment passes silver states tech requirements as i have thoroughly read the rule book. anyway, my question concerns a 1st time participant is limited to a target average speed of 110 mph as written in your rule book. since i don't hold a scca, imsa or nascar liscense i have chosen to do my 1st time open road racing event with mkm promotions at www.openroadracing.com because they allow a 1st time participant to run in the grand sport 1 class which has a target average speed of 130 mph. so that bein the case after i do the bonneville 100 next month would this qualify me to run in the grand sport class at the silver state in september? i will email the person at the link you have provided me with. thanx 4 the help

p.s. - i do have road racing experience with nasa and asra and have completed bob bondurants high perfromance driving school. but it seems that is not enough to qualify me as a 1st time participant with your organization to run in the grand sport class. so thus the reason for me to do the bonneville 100 with a target average speed of 130 mph in hopes that this will qualify me to run in the silver states grand sport class as a 1st time participant.

Last edited:

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
You're OK

Fast Freddy,
I confirmed with the tech people @ SSCC and as a first timer you will qualify for the 150 class by completing the Bonneville 100. Your Bondurant and other experience also will qualify you.

Will I see you at the September race? Larry

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Gt Cleared To Run 150 Class W/o Rollbar

Craig,
I confirmed the GT can run in the Silver State Classic 150 class without a rollbar installed. Of course both you and the GT will have to meet the other requirements per the rule book.
Please contact me if you have any questions. It would be great to have several GTs at the Sept. race. Larry

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Lgaruti said:
Fast Freddy,
I confirmed with the tech people @ SSCC and as a first timer you will qualify for the 150 class by completing the Bonneville 100. Your Bondurant and other experience also will qualify you.

Will I see you at the September race? Larry

Lgaruti. my wife is goin with me to the bonneville 100 in july but she won't be able to make the SSCC event in september. as you know it takes alot of time from home and work to do this events (close to a week to be exact). so i am in the process of seeing if my friend can get time away from work to be my navigator. he is the navigator for one of the fastest offshore powerboats in the world. i can't make a final decision on any of this until after i complete the bonneville 100 in july. but if everything goes according to plan then i will be sending in my $$$, registration and all paperwork necessary by the end of july. thanks again for all your help. :thumbsup

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Lgaruti said:
Craig,
I confirmed the GT can run in the Silver State Classic 150 class without a rollbar installed. Of course both you and the GT will have to meet the other requirements per the rule book.
Please contact me if you have any questions. It would be great to have several GTs at the Sept. race. Larry

larry, this is some great news. this has had me wondering about this car for sometime because when i buy one i want to run it in the grand sport class. so now all you need to do with the GT to run in this class is install 5 or 6 point restraints and bolt in a fire extinguisher and go racing. i hope some GT's show up to give the vipers a run for their money. the GT would be my #1 pick for a car to drive at this event. my viper is my #1 choice for short tracks. someday when i purchase a GT this will be my car of choice to do these open road racing events with. my viper will then be used just on the short tracks road courses like willow springs, etc. :cheers

Last edited:

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Silver State Classic Challange

Yep! a 5 point, fire bottle, mechanically correct GT and a sane driver will get you in. However, a roll cage/bar and all the other safety equipment one can muster up is recommended. In the past I've run the SSCC without a navigator so my thought is to remove the passenger seat and fab. a bracket that will hold the fire supression bottle, GPS and stop watches. Ofcourse the seat will have to be reinstalled after the race for the wife.
It would be great if we could get 6 or so GTs out in Sept. to compete in the team competition.