Using lift

jyork965

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2018
Had a Forward 4 post lift installed earlier this week. I'd like to put the Ford up top and this is my question to those of you with lifts. Previously, I'd use chocks at the wheels leaving the emergency brake off. Is it safe to do the same or would all recommend to use the e-brake with the car elevated? What do other folks do?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Had a Forward 4 post lift installed earlier this week. I'd like to put the Ford up top and this is my question to those of you with lifts. Previously, I'd use chocks at the wheels leaving the emergency brake off. Is it safe to do the same or would all recommend to use the e-brake with the car elevated? What do other folks do?

Personally, I always engage the 'brake on any car.
Why would one not? ;-)

Tomcat

GT Owner
I have heard that cars that are rarely driven may have their parking brakes get stuck and my Pantera was one where I used chocks on my 4-post. But I religiously use the end stops/vertical plates AND set the parking brake on my "upper car" on my lift.

Reactions: Joe Dozzo

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I've heard of the stuck emergency brake before too, so leave the car in gear instead. Of course, I'm speaking from pretty flat Florida.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I've heard of the stuck emergency brake before too, so leave the car in gear instead. Of course, I'm speaking from pretty flat Florida.
Yes...in gear too! Florida AND North Carolina (some hills).

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Oh, I ve had stuck emergency brake plenty of times. It almost always happens after I've been driving in the wet, and park it for a week or more. Rust forms between the E-bake pads and disc and sticks them together. But just putting it in gear and letting the clutch out will break them loose. However, to avoid it, my current practice is to use the E-brake and 1st gear when I park the car when I'm out and about. But when I get home, I just leave it in gear, but without the brake applied. Of course, my garage floor is level. If yours isn't, then use both.

I'll assume your lift platform is level too, so either E-brake, or in gear, or chocks, or any combination will be fine.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I leave in gear, and chock in front and back of the front tire.

jyork965

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2018
Thanks for your replies. I was concerned about stuck e-brakes but guess this is a problem with prolonged storage/wet discs which doesn't apply to me. I'll feel better with the brake applied. This forum rocks!

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
After I wash the car I take it for a 1min drive and make sure brakes get warm.... no pad binding.
Upside is a wipe down and loose water thats started running from hidden areas on the short drive.

jyork965

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2018
Yes, appreciate the input. Another thing learned from plane owners here is that they'll often taxi with brakes lightly applied to dispel water from brake pads and rotors.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I chock one front and rear.
In gear.
E brake appears to invite issues.
Other question is protecting tires on metal runners for long term storage.
Best,
Mark

Reactions: RPM217

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I chock one front and rear.
In gear.
E brake appears to invite issues.
Other question is protecting tires on metal runners for long term storage.
Best,
Mark
I overinflate the tires to 50lbs., all around, and haven't had any issues.............

jr66

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2017
scottsdale
Use flat stoppers to protect your tires and they provide a stop to any rolling. I also use the end plates on the lift.

Reactions: GTMD

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I leave the car in neutral with parking brake disengaged and all four wheels chocked. My lift front end plates are also cut down to be sure they clear the splitter.