Unsolicited Interest in my GT

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I received in the mail today an unsolicited letter expressing interest in buying my FGT for cash. I was wondering if anyone else had received such a letter, because I am curious how the person expressing interest got my mailing address. I am sure there are a few legal ways, but perhaps someone out there has a database and has sold owner information.

Needless to say, I am not interested as long as I can see and push the clutch pedal, but am curious if the person is canvassing owners. Perhaps another indication that the market is continuing to improve.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Was it from Nigeria? LOL

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Could be a Nigerian scam....if you have posted any pics on facebook,photobucket, or social media in general you may be vulnerable. Just unusual that any legit buyer would offer you cash in the blind.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I'll buy it but first I can only send you a down payment of $50,000US. All I need you to do is refund $25,000US which I will pay in full when we complete the deal. My address is 1234 spankyoubottom, Somalia :biggrin

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I'll do it for only a down payment of only $45,500 USD. The other good news is you would only need to send me $37,500 cash.

Not saying that Luke's deal is not good, but mine saves you on both sides...

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
DMV sells that info to any interested buyer.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
DMV sells that info to any interested buyer.

Can they get "all the Ford GT owners in California", or do they have to have your license plate?

fordgtforsale.com

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Jun 8, 2007
Normally that kind of thing comes from the selling Ford dealer or a Ford dealer that has seen the car.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I was wondering if anyone else had received such a letter, because I am curious how the person expressing interest got my mailing address.

I'd be suspicious as well.

I was emailed directly thru this Forum re: buying #1079...and said individual was on the 'up-and-up'. He bought it.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I'd be suspicious as well.

I was emailed directly thru this Forum re: buying #1079...and said individual was on the 'up-and-up'. He bought it.
He figured correctly that you were a soft target after reading a lot about how you never drove the car.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I get one at least once a year from my dealer. They are generic, and must use a percentage of price paid on the offer, it says "looking to buy 6 Ford GT's" Offering $76xxx cash.... My dealer got 2 new, never had one since....

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Wasn't there that Bimbo broker from Chicago that would broker your car for a fee? Reverse Nigeria scam?

EP has been working with her to buy a car I heard.....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Is it true yo mama so ugly she could make keys with her teeth?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
What would be nice is an unsolicited offer for you not the car!

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I got one of these letters today, weird.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I get one at least once a year from my dealer. They are generic, and must use a percentage of price paid on the offer, it says "looking to buy 6 Ford GT's" Offering $76xxx cash...

+1 'Agree.

I rec'd very similar letters 'til about 2-3 years ago, but none since. They always came in September as I recall, and they all supposedly came from my dealer.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I just received a letter from a gentlemen in Houston with an unsolicited offer. I'm not interested in selling, but I am curious as to how he got my home address. I did not buy my car through a dealer and have moved twice since I bought the car.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I cannot tell a lie. I sent it to him Waldo.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Waldo. My unsolicited offer was from Houston as well. I spoke briefly to him to find out what I could and all he would tell me is that he was looking for a car for himself, even tho he was a car broker, and that he got my information from "public sources" which he would not reveal. When I called it did sound like a business but still had a scam feel to it. He was interested in a low mileage car, and mine has 14000 so that ended the conversation for him.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...I am curious as to how he got my home address.

Did you leave a fwding address with snail mail Inc? He may have a buddy in the P.O.