University of San Francisco? questions, comments

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Well my younger daughter is thick into the college hunt. Does anyone have any info about this school?

I have heard nice location and some other good things but we have not visited yet and it's a long ways from Maryland. Trying to see if we should visit.

So far she has been accepted U of San Fran, Denver University, University of Vermont and a couple others.

I am pulling for Denver so far. Thanks for the help guys!!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Good school. Very urban. Not the heart of downtown, but also not far from some sketchy neighborhoods (fringes of the Fillmore and Haight districts). Think Johns Hopkins location only maybe not as good as that. The location would be my reservation and, not meaning to be sexist, particularly with a daughter.

My experience comes from having lived a few blocks away (McAllister and Central) in the 70s. Long time ago, but I doubt it has changed a lot.

Last edited:

mrscape

GT Owner
Nov 14, 2011
san diego
My son is going to University of Denver in September. I have heard good things about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My daughters went to CU (University of Colorado, Boulder) and CSU (Colorado State University, Ft. Collins).

As much as I think Boulder is the Liberal Center of the Universe, the College is great.

Note that both CU and CSU got in to the March Madness. CU football, not so great. They are struggling in new league that is way above them.

You might also think of Arizona State or U of A. Both also good schools (and because of employer relationship, they could have gone there). If thinking of medical school, I would point them to the UofA Med center in a heartbeat.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Thanks guys. Anybody else?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
See US NEWS & World Report college rankings

Think U of V will be more classic liberal arts, and better ranked

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
See US NEWS & World Report college rankings

Think U of V will be more classic liberal arts, and better ranked
Just keep your daughters away from Kayvan, no matter where they go to school.............................just saying!!!!

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Hey don't bring him into this thread.

The liberal University of Vermont is just a little too Liberal for me. Can you imagine a Ford GT burning race gas driving around there my poor kid would be labeled for life.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
And San Francisco isn't too liberal? lol. Actually, I can very well picture her status leaping upward in a Ford GT at Vermont. Or anywhere. Ford GTs are not politically constrained. Their pure awesomeness knows no boundaries, limits, socio-economic status, age,....

Seriously, it's impossible to comment on the academic side without knowing what she's looking for. You asked specifically about USF and did not ask about other schools. USF is, like its home city, very international and cosmopolitan. At the same time, it is Jesuit...the kick-ass Catholics.

The schools chosen seem like a bit of an odd mix. Pretty clear she's not going into engineering. What does she want?

Last edited:

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
She is undecided. I am hoping business, car business truly. I am getting old.

Education seems liberal everywhere to me. But Vt. They are really drinking the green tea up there.
She is a great athlete so that's part of our review.

I agree on the mix, I don't know how we got to this point but we have some great choices.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
USF is a great school. Great city, a few old neighborhoods with some hippee retirees, but a superb place. And a great place to visit for you and mom. Denver has also a great reputation, both are quite liberal, Denver has a natural repellant called "snow" that makes up for about 4-5 months of the school year.

Come to SF, state needs the money.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I grew up right next to DU. Went to some great house parties there ha. Does she like snow and skiing?

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Yes she loves it snow boarding and such. Matter fact we just rode snow mobiles through Rabbit Ears Pass. I was thinking of you Luke when I saw the cliff jumps they had been hitting out there.

Colorado offers a lot!!

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Yes she loves it snow boarding and such. Matter fact we just rode snow mobiles through Rabbit Ears Pass. I was thinking of you Luke when I saw the cliff jumps they had been hitting out there.

Colorado offers a lot!!
Did you all ride with the rental outfit up there? They always stop at the overlook for pictures. It is fun to ride up and motion for them to part a path. They step back with a look of confusion replaced by shock when you ride through the group and off the cliff they were just posing and taking pictures from the edge of lol. Did you have good snow?

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Yea snow was great and it was a nice warm day. I have seen the powder so this time warm weather was fun. We went right to that spot
I walked up to that cliff and saw the landing area. That is some crazy sh** after
Umpteen crashes and cracked skulls no more air for me! I will follow you as long as I stay grounded.

Headed back to check out DU and San Fran Thursday hopefully
Denver can provide me some sunshine on this trip.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Looks nice. I don't know the exact number but CO has something like 300 days of sunshine a year. Rarely ever have those dreary gray days. If it does rain the some comes out an hour later and you head back out and finish your round. Not a bad place to live.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Education seems liberal everywhere to me.

It did to me too BUT.......not at Texas A&M. Traditional American values are alive and well there. 98% white, 51% female, 5% military, 100% American. Gig 'Em.

Chip

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Just stay out of Austin. That is the Boulder, Colorado of Texas.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

Philosophically worse. Boulder has liberals and a university. Austin has liberals, a university, and the state capital (which means boatloads of politicians trying to get into the local press).

The benefit of such a city in a western state is we know where they all live. I was at a state sponsored forum for city/town board/commission members (at the time I was on the town board) and one of the city councilors from a small western slope town (similar in size to mine) stated "We love Boulder - it concentrates all of the raving liberals in one place so we know where they all are and they leave us alone".

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona

I couldn't agree more. A popular shirt at University of Texas reads, "Keep Austin Weird", a popular shirt at Texas A&M reads, "Keep College Station Normal".

Chip