Two Gages Stopped Working

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Ok, I searchd a lot of threads and still could use some more advice if you care to give it. The oil preasure and volt meter gages have stopped in the "straight up" position. My suspicion is a weak battery. However, drove the car for 30 minutes, turned off, then back on, and still not working. I remember someone saying that you have to disconnect the battery and then reconnect it. Or, should I just put the charger in over night? Any thoughts? Thanks.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Ok, I searchd a lot of threads and still could use some more advice if you care to give it. The oil preasure and volt meter gages have stopped in the "straight up" position. My suspicion is a weak battery. However, drove the car for 30 minutes, turned off, then back on, and still not working. I remember someone saying that you have to disconnect the battery and then reconnect it. Or, should I just put the charger in over night? Any thoughts? Thanks.

try disconnecting it for a while but make sure the battery has a full charge before reconnecting

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Have you made certain your ground is a good one? Everyone says to take off the ground strap from the frame, sand the spot on the frame clean, and replace ground strap. :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
TRICKLE CHARGE the battery only (at least 3 days)! No FULL ZOOT charges. (Depending on how OLD your battery is, you may very well need to replace it anyway. Those OEM batteries don't seem to "live" as long as std batteries.)

And do the ground strap routine mentioned above before charging the existing one too.

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Thank you, everybody. Where is the ground strap? My battery is almost 4 years old, in Arizona. Keep it coming!!

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I have the trickle charger in. Is ther any kind of LED that tells if it is working? I can't see anything, but assume it is working.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I have the trickle charger in. Is ther any kind of LED that tells if it is working? I can't see anything, but assume it is working.

No. 'No light on the OEM charger. That's why several 'Forum members have bought one that DOES.

The battery (& therefore the ground strap) is under the front boot. Simply remove the boot and and you'll see it sitting on the driver's side.

Edit: My guess is your OEM battery at 4 years old ( WORKING IN THE DESERT HEAT) has pbly about given up the ghost. My daughter usually gets about 4-5 years out of STANDARD 12 volt units down there.)

Last edited:

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Empty Pockets, thanks for the info.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Empty Pockets, thanks for the info.

:wink:thumbsup

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Agree with EP. My OEM charger has never been out of the package. The price/performance winner is the basic Battery Tender which is attached to my GT most of the time. Also, one of our forum sponsors builds a permanent install kit for it that hangs a charge port plug out of the front grill. Very nice - unless you have a front bra that blocks the port. :)
But I recently bought a Braille battery charger when I purchased one of their carbon fiber batteries for my Porsche. It's actually very impressive with a few more LED's to indicate what's going on.
Notwithstanding the permanent install option, I'd recommend taking a look at it.

No. 'No light on the OEM charger. That's why several 'Forum members have bought one that DOES.

The battery (& therefore the ground strap) is under the front boot. Simply remove the boot and and you'll see it sitting on the driver's side.

Edit: My guess is your OEM battery at 4 years old ( WORKING IN THE DESERT HEAT) has pbly about given up the ghost. My daughter usually gets about 4-5 years out of STANDARD 12 volt units down there.)

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Well, still no luck. I sanded the ground cable attachment, and have purchased a new battery. Still have a stuck oil pressure gage and a stuck volt meter. I just can't believe they both failed at the exact same time. However, with a new battery now in the car, I don't know what else to do. Any ideas before I start replacing gages?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Well, still no luck. I sanded the ground cable attachment, and have purchased a new battery. Still have a stuck oil pressure gage and a stuck volt meter. I just can't believe they both failed at the exact same time. However, with a new battery now in the car, I don't know what else to do. Any ideas before I start replacing gages?

Hopefully whomever origionally posted this will "roger up":

Recently a member mentioned somewhere on another thread about some kind of 'control module box' that the gauges are fed by/thru somehow or another. As I recall, that puppy runs about $5K and it has been found to be the source of similiar pblms on occasion in the past. THAT could be the source in your case as well, because, as you stated, the likelyhood of TWO gauges puking at the same time just isn't real likely.

I'll try to find that post.

Post #7, kosupply:
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13408&highlight=gauge+control+module

Last edited: