TTAC article with new FGT "info"

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
This article was posted on 10/6:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/10/housekeeping-clickbait-wish-fulfillment-ford-gt/

Which was basically full of misinformation about the GT replacement.

Now, a semi-retraction:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/11/ford-sources-say-derek-wrong-new-ford-gt/

Bob Lutz is not the only one who is “often wrong, never in doubt”. When I penned my Ford GT editorial, I had a pretty sound case for believing that the latest reports of a successor to Ford’s supercar were little more than clickbait. By usually reliable sources inside the Blue Oval seemed to concur. And then I got a phone call from someone who is placed highly enough to know.

It turns out that our sources didn’t initially see any indication of a new GT program because it’s not being done through the usual channels. It will be a *very* limited product car, of around 300 units, and built by a third-party like Multimatic. Power will come from a 3.5L Ecoboost, to maintain a connection with Ford’s sports car racing program. The car will be priced as you’d expect a limited-production 300-unit halo car to be priced.

N.B. The identity of the source checks out, but there is still the chance that it could all be a bunch of BS misinformation. However, I felt it prudent to put this on the public record in case I am wrong. My obligation to you, the readers, comes before my own pride/ego.

As to an EcoBoost V6 and a 300 unit production limit, I suppose we'll find out soon enough!

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
It will be a flat planed crank 5.2 motor in the new supercar. The car will be on display at Detriot auto show, this car will be badass!!!!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Unless it's a homologation program, I hope Ford doesn't use a V6.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Unless it's a homologation program, I hope Ford doesn't use a V6.

- Or - Part of global marketing program for EcoBoost.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A Voodoo engine in a car like that would sound awesome, but I think they probably would go after weight by using a turbo'd V6.

Can't wait!

When will homologation begin? Maybe not if it is entered as experimental and that would mean they aren't street but the limited production would be towards racing teams. Maybe THIS is the new FRPP parts car :)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Doc,

Thanks for using your valuable time to try to educate those numbskulls over there. No matter how many times you spelled it out for them, they just could not comprehend what you were saying. :frown

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I have a reliable source that says it will be Na 5.2 motor and the GT350 getting that motor was just the begining.. If they are shooting for a class win in lemans or a come back they are restricted to 500hp anyways I believe. I have heard reports of 550+Na out of 5.2 flat plane motor. I originally thought ecoboost 6 cyl also but it really doesnt make any sense todo it that way. I think I and others would have a hard time selling a GT or two for a 400-500k 6cyl Ford Supercar! There would be no noise sex appeal either. Can you imagine how boring a 6 cyl would sound??? I wont buy one if they are thats for sure. I will sell a GT tho if they are a V8 Na motor'd car and some of my parts collection to own one or buy a wrecked one when available as that doesn't bother me. JANUARY CAN NOT COME FAST ENOUGH as I know people who have seen pics of the car!!

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Doc,

Thanks for using your valuable time to try to educate those numbskulls over there. No matter how many times you spelled it out for them, they just could not comprehend what you were saying. :frown

Haha, no joke.