TT v SC .... No Contest!

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Should you be on the fence of converting your gal to twin turbos, don't hesitate and jump in! I stepped into my gal, just newly TTd, for the first time a week ago today. On my plane trip over and the drive in L.A. traffic from LAX to the Pond residence/garage which took nearly as long, my head was overspilling of all the alleged downsides of the TT. I was fully prepared to have Ryan & Kendall reverse the operation and return her to my tried and true Whipple. None of the concerns I read so much about were experienced by me and all of the TT benefits exceeded my expectations.

I intended to post this last week while sugarplum memories were still dancing in my head, but darn if work and life don't continue to get in the way. I was on the ground for about 24 hours to visit the Ponds, meet M/M Apollo and spend a little time with my FGT mistress. My time was much too short with all and will revisit my impressions and this post after more seat time next week at Rally V.

For my first year of blissful ownership prior to my even laying eyes on my new acquisition, Kendall & Ryan installed the pulley & tune, Accufab, Heffner exhaust and such. A year later, they worked their magic and laid on the Whipple. Two years with Mr. Whipple comes the TT conversion. Now, I thoroughly enjoyed the pulley & tune and have been in complete Whipple euphoria for the last two years. However, I was intrigued by the various TT posts I've read over the past couple years and to a person, each spoke of the TT's superiority. Now, I agree.

For me, the TT is easier, more linear and smoother to drive in everyday situations. The Whipple is clearly a blast with merely a slight stab of the right foot immediately translating to sudden and authoritative forward movement. However, I found my new gal much more civilized in normal driving conditions. Despite the dyno tests, I was pleasantly surprised with the distinct feeling of the TTs spooling up at around 3,000 revs. The push back into the seat came much earlier than expected.

BUT, when you want to get a little frisky, there's no comparison. The power rush and accompanying adrenaline injection of the TT is like none other. When I pushed the loud pedal down, I felt a bit like Captain Kirk on the bridge of the Enterprise as she went into warp drive. The scenery unmistakably blasted by me at a much more rapid pace. The sound of the exhaust was ferocious and angry. The first time I heard it after punching it, I didn't recognize her as my gal of 3+ years. I was surprised and delighted with her new enraged voice. The engine seems to rev quicker, it's more free spinning and doesn't feel restricted and somewhat held back as it did before. Clearly, the decel experience is completely different as the SC's engine braking was pronounced and the TT feels free wheeling in comparison.

An ancillary benefit I wasn't looking for is lower engine temps of what seemed to be of 10 - 15 degrees.

There's much more to say but I've run out of time for now. And, once back with her next week for an extended engagement, I'm sure I'll have additional observations to share. However, for now, I believe I've found the best of both worlds - excellent drivability around town and mind blowing performance out of town.

I'm really looking forward to reconnecting with all of my good friends and making new ones. See you at The Umstead and VIR.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Great write up, look froward to seeing you as well, Andy

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
for me the sound of my turbos spooling even from stoplights is worth the price of admission alone (I'm not sure if the TT only cars have such a pronounced turbo spooling sound as my setup).

the power is definately intoxicating........enjoy

H

HHGT

Congrats buddy, well deserved....When I see in Hawaii, you're gonna have to show me where she is exercised.... BTW, I heard you had a chauffeur driving you around Los Angeles...

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
for me the sound of my turbos spooling even from stoplights is worth the price of admission alone (I'm not sure if the TT only cars have such a pronounced turbo spooling sound as my setup).

the power is definately intoxicating........enjoy

1000000%

Aug 25, 2006
I am very happy for you

Shadowman

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Congrats Aloha. As a newly minted TT guy I echo your sentiments 100 percent. :thumbsup

The only downside was writing the check. :frown :lol

Have a great time getting to know her. It only gets better. :cheers

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Thank you all. I'm eager to log in more seat time and gain further experiences.

That's right, Sam. It was only fitting for the chauffeur to experience the art of his skilled hands. Regrettably, traffic wasn't nearly cooperative as either us would've liked. However, the chauffeuer's timing was impeccable. No sooner did he peel off from the freeway onto a clear back road when a cute young gal flashed us the thumbs up as she passed us. That was enough to motivate the chauffeur to mash the loud pedal. I tried to steal a look as we blew past her but I barely saw the car.