Trucks and Trailers

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Just a few weeks ago I managed to convince my father that he needed to replace his 1996 Ford F150 with a newer model. Not that there was anything wrong with the 96 but since he's getting a few years underneath him that it was time just to get something a bit more comfortable. So, after a bit of wrangling and dealing we picked up a 2009 F150 4x4 Platinum edition.

WOW! is the only word that I can say. Next to the GT this truck is the nicest thing on all points that Ford has built in a long time. After putting a few 100 miles on it ... it has me thinking. The Platinum is every bit as nice as a european luxury sedan in side and as capable as a 3/4 ton truck. With a 10k towing capability, why am I even considering an f250 diesel?

I know that we have covered this time and again before but lets talk about towing options, trailers etc.. and share a bit of information in real time with the new guys here.

Tow vehicle

trailer .. light vs heavy

tommy's vs trailex ... etc.

thanks guys for the future input. Until I drove this truck I KNEW I wanted a diesel ... now I'm just not sure. This F150 is a game changer! :thumbsup

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
It truly depends on what you are towing. The weight of the load, the combined vehicle weight (truck, trailer and load) and the conditions you will be towing in (road and terrain) all have to be taken in to consideration. I have a trucking business and run different combinations of vehicles for the various jobs we do. Some are hauling 80k #'s in the flat Sacramento Valley others are hauling the same loads but travel over the Sierra and Rocky mountains. The truck and trailers look similar but are specked differently to suit the different jobs. When looking at a tow vehicle keep in mind what and where you will be towing not just what will meet the minimum requirements of what you want to do.
I too like the new F-150's and if they were capable of doing the hauling job I need I would gladly be driving one instead of my dually diesel F-450. If it fits the bill for you then bye all means have at it.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Sandman ... thanks for your insight. Actually I should have said .. "to pull the GT with" somewhere in there.

thank you for the focus point. :wink

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
While the Platinum edition is very, very nice, you can save a few thousand and get a Lariat. Also, very nice. Mine's got 120K on it (all highway) and has been exemplary. The new 6 speed tranny should be a great help to MPG.