Trouble in the Garage (Visit from Mickey)

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Walked in the garage this afternoon and saw a mouse.

I have 2 live traps in there at all times and have never caught a single mouse and have never even seen a mouse in the garage for the last 11 years.

So I went out and bought 8 good old traps.

Will check in the morning to see if the visitor has checked out.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Cheese curds?

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
I may need to try Cheese Curds. Checked all the traps this morning and he is still on the loose.

I baited the traps with Peanut Butter but being in Wisconsin he may prefer Cheese.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Glue boards are a favorite of mine.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Peanut butter has always worked best for me.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I second (3rd?) the peanut butter.

"d-con" is another option...but, 'downside is it wil also kill anything that eats dead mice...and that includes your own cat if you have one.

(Edit: Bacon is another good choice.)

An aside: The weather striping around a FGT's windshield seems to be delicacy for 'meeces' that live in the greater New England area(?) as I recall.

(I know there's at least one person here who remembers that episode...and he knows who he is!)

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
BTW, I'm told traps work best when their 'spring action' is butted right up next to walls...as rodents supposedly tend to hug walls going from point "A" to point "B". With the spring action located as above, mice/rats will encounter the 'business end' of the trap whether 'coming or going'.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Glue boards are a favorite of mine.

Sadist!

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Round 2

Will try cheese with these.

Traps.jpg

Good thing the garage is heated because it is -10F outside and I will be going through the cars today looking for damage.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I use peanut butter and I also use two traps at 90 degrees...as I have had small/light mice steal the bait.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I second (3rd?) the peanut butter.

"d-con" is another option...but, 'downside is it wil also kill anything that eats dead mice...and that includes your own cat if you have one.

If there was a cat there it's not worth it's weight in salt... let the kitty try the D-con flavored catnip.......

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Thanks for the ideas.

Good thing the wife is out of town because she would get a good laugh at all the traps in the garage... Each wall has 2-3 traps as well as a couple under the cars next to the tires.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Peanut Butter !!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If there was a cat there it's not worth it's weight in salt... let the kitty try the D-con flavored catnip.......

May a diseased yak take up permanent residence in your boudoir...and may your wife prefer its company.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
I had a dozen or so muscle cars stored in a new warehouse that I was sure I built as mouse proof as possible....turns out I was wrong. After trying several hi-tech traps and baits I ended up using the original style spring loaded trap with Rat Poison pellets(basically a blood thinner) as bait...sourced it from a rancher friend. One trap inside each entrance and one at each car tire. This way Mickey was doomed regardless. Problem solved in one week......

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
smooth peanut butter… old style traps always work.

another problem with d-con is they go into your walls and die. Then they decompose in the spring. Then starts the wall deconstruction .

I use moth balls in plastic containers with vents on top, under the cars, next to each wheel. No rodents yet.
Use the same method for the snowmobiles in the spring - fall seasons. The one year I didn't , had a nice mouse nest in the engine compartment of the snowmobile.

Dryer sheet also work, used them for winter storage for the RV trailer. Need fresh ones every year and I stuff them in all the gaps that a mouse can get through…
Have been told that mice can get through a 1/4" hole.. I'm not sure of this, but these folks up here have been fending them off a lot longer than I have.

Lastly, a 5 gallon paint bucket, with string/wire across the top/centered.. In the middle, over the center of the bucket, tie in a spoon. Put a scoop of peanut butter on the spoon.. Fill the bucket with water/antifreeze…
This method trapped 30+ mice last year for my neighbor…you never see them, but they're there.

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Lastly, a 5 gallon paint bucket, with string/wire across the top/centered.. In the middle, over the center of the bucket, tie in a spoon. Put a scoop of peanut butter on the spoon.. Fill the bucket with water/antifreeze…
This method trapped 30+ mice last year for my neighbor…you never see them, but they're there.

image 1.jpgmousetrap 2.gifbuckte-mouse-trap-ramp 3.jpgimage 4.jpg

Also found this trap..... one for EP
image 5.jpg

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
[video=youtube_share;BV4Bo7I6Ztk]http://youtu.be/BV4Bo7I6Ztk[/video]

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Also found this trap..... one for EP
View attachment 32418

Post #14 x2...

BTW... you must have designed that thing. The string appears to be hooked up to pull the wrong way.

Either that or it's a Polish pistol...

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
[video=youtube_share;BV4Bo7I6Ztk]http://youtu.be/BV4Bo7I6Ztk[/video]

Oh god I laughed so hard!!! I need one of those in my backyard!!!