Transaxle Output Shaft Seal Install Tool - Help

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Planning to change my transaxle output shaft seals this winter. Passenger side leaks a small amount, going to change both. Ford manual specs an Output Shaft Seal Install Tool No: 308-600. I believe this is Ford Rotunda OTC 308-600. However, I cannot find it anywhere. A tool, I think, comes with a $240 seal kit, 4G7Z-1S177-BA. Or, Timken Seal 225220 is about $5.00. I bought 4 Timken seals expecting to install them w/o the install tool, sometimes mess one up w/o a proper tool. I may fabricate an install tool, ugh, if I mess one up.

I will be replacing the installed Ford updated output shaft bolt kit with the ARP kit. I will be adding wire tie to the ARP bolts, since, they are drilled for wire tie. The leak is from the seal and not from the shaft flange seam. However, the flange seam is dirty damp on both sides.

Does anybody have an install tool they would like to sell or loan? Or, can anybody provide a part number from an install tool?

Thanks much.

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Have you dis-assembled the 6-bolts and taken the flange apart to look inside?

CanadaGT

GT Owner
Sep 28, 2006
Edmonton Alberta
You need to take off the flange, to access seal. I have a tool. OTC 308-600

Last edited:

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Have you dis-assembled the 6-bolts and taken the flange apart to look inside?

No dis-assembly yet. I assume you are interested in how the two bolts look? I can report back what I see, if others are interested. I might get to it in a week or two, or a month or two. I am out of service due to weather until spring.
I have grabbed the two flanges and they do have slight vertical movement. Drivers side measured at 0.015", pass side 0.010". I assume this is normal. I know front wheel drive cars have way more than this on their transaxle output shafts.

You need to take off the flange, to access seal. I have a tool. OTC 308-600.

Great I will contact you.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I performed this task several years ago (2007/8???). Actually very easy, and the only 'unique' tool per se, was a run of the mill seal puller.....and it can best be described as 'helpful', not required.

I posted the steps with pics to the Forum (including seal puller) back when I completed the task. Using the 'Search' function should find it for you.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
No dis-assembly yet. I assume you are interested in how the two bolts look?

No, frankly I am challenging your assumption that you need a new flange output seal. The leak most typically between the thick washer and the flange grooves. The oil accumulates inside the coupler but will slowly drain out the seam - perhaps making it appear like a bad flange seal. This theory is even more plausible if you were to disassemble the coupler and see if fluid is present. If not, more credence to your theory. However, if there is fluid in the coupler, then you need to follow the spirit of the TSB Ford issued back in 2006 to correct the weeping. I would do this BEFORE diving into replacing flange output seals - potentially unnecessarily.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Thanks for the input. I will post what I see inside the flange when dis-assembled. However, I cleaned the flange mating surface area. It is still dry. The oil is still coming out from the seal area. I have the TSB for sealing the washer/spline area, thanks to all the GREAT past posts.