transaxle drain/fill plug sealant

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
What is the correct type of thread sealant to use on the transaxle drain & fill plugs?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
None - Reuse the copper alloy ring seal.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
None - Reuse the copper alloy ring seal.

not true you should use sealant, I did not and mine developed a slow leak, then I put some thread sealant and the problem was solved, you should use some teflon paste or any thread sealant would work.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
How about teflon tape? I didn't use any and have no leaks but ???

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
If the copper ring seal does its job, thread sealer is superfluous. The factory did not find it necessary to use thread sealer either. If you are driven to use thread sealer, check for compatibility first.

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
I noticed that my GT had a white paste sealer around the threads from factory. So I assume that a sealer is recommended in addition to using the copper ring.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The copper ring should seal, but the factory rings have a less then optimal fit. In general, thread sealants are used for tapered pipe threads, not for plugs with strait threads that use sealing gaskets, or rings. The drain/fill plugs are low pressure plugs so using a compatible sealant wouldn't hurt though and may help due to the poor fitting copper rings.

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
The copper ring should seal, but the factory rings have a less then optimal fit. In general, thread sealants are used for tapered pipe threads, not for plugs with strait threads that use sealing gaskets, or rings. The drain/fill plugs are low pressure plugs so using a compatible sealant wouldn't hurt though and may help due to the poor fitting copper rings.

Good info. :thumbsup

Aug 25, 2006
Most of the gals that I have serviced arrived with a combination of the copper crush washer and Teflon aka Anaerobic sealant on the various plugs as such I do the same and have had no leak issues.

As for Teflon tape; certainly an option however for many it is often times difficult for them to use it when compared to the paste.

Takes care

Shadowman

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Arp

I've had great success with ARP's Thread Sealer in many applications - especially Big Block Chevy head bolts and studs, since the threaded holes in the blocks tap through to the water galleys. Seals aluminum, steel, stainless, plastic, etc. Their Assembly Lube is very good too. Teflon tape can be cut and shred - I don't trust where the shreddings may lodge.

Page 86 in http://www.arp-bolts.com/Catalog/Catalog.html

Last edited:

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
I believe when I changed the transaxle fluid in #0038 it was the first time. Here are some photos of the thread sealant;

Attachments

• P6040126.jpg
    P6040126.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 69
  • P6040125.jpg
    P6040125.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
I believe when I changed the transaxle fluid in #0038 it was the first time. Here are some photos of the thread sealant;

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/CWlBEG7zbpyuLbSlW3Fq7g?feat=directlink

Yes sir

It is an anaerobic sealant ala Teflon paste and I use it on the transaxle and engine plugs to prevent any galling of the threads and secondary sealing.

Takes care

Shadowman