Trailer Rental for GT in SoCal - Monterrey Car Week

PilotMarky

Ford GT Team Alumni
Dec 11, 2018
I am starting to work out logistics of car week and getting the GT up there. Would be fun to drive it, but most of the miles would be for nothing and there's zero space for suitcases :)
Anybody know of trailer rentals that are enclosed and have the side door opening around the SoCal area?
I also thought about using Reliable to get the car there and back.
I am sure some of you have done all this before, and it's my first time to do this sort of thing so any advice appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I'm in FL so can't help ... but just got myself a new trailer and all set up to haul my 05's and would've offered to do it. However, actually, I dunno the outside tire width of the NGT, ie how much wider than the FGT it is, so not sure it would fit. My FGTs have 2-1/4" between the outside face of the rear tires and the trailer's fenders. Close but works fine for the FGT. If anybody reads this, please let me know the NGT's rear tires outside width dimension, in case it becomes relevant in the future :)

Oh ... and I bet you're gonna get some razzin' for this: "... most of the miles would be for nothing ..." 😱 😁

Anyway ... good luck! (y)

Reactions: PilotMarky

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I know a guy in VA that rented a trailer to get to Carlisle (have not seen him in several years). Outside of that one off, I have never ever heard of anyone that has rented a trailer, or anywhere else, that had trailers for rent. Let alone one specialized enough to haul a NGT (you must use over the wheel 3 point tie downs). Good luck, but I think you have an uphill challenge to find what your looking for.

BTW I have a "normal" width enclosed trailers (no escape doors), there is about 1.5" to the wheels from the trailers wheel wells. It fits, but its cozy...

Reactions: extrap

Tomcat

GT Owner
I am not a Monterrey expert (only been once), but my experience during Pebble Beach was mostly sitting in traffic in my rental car.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I am starting to work out logistics of car week and getting the GT up there. Would be fun to drive it, but most of the miles would be for nothing and there's zero space for suitcases :)
Anybody know of trailer rentals that are enclosed and have the side door opening around the SoCal area?
I also thought about using Reliable to get the car there and back.
I am sure some of you have done all this before, and it's my first time to do this sort of thing so any advice appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Tom Ridings is in SoCal & has transported cars for me & friends. 562-618-4826 He is very good at it.

Reactions: PilotMarky

PilotMarky

Ford GT Team Alumni
Dec 11, 2018
Thanks guys! Much appreciated with the help. Considering an RV for accommodation too.

As for the miles razzin' LOL, we have over 2300 on her already and it's not even a year old yet!

Reactions: ScottK

PilotMarky

Ford GT Team Alumni
Dec 11, 2018
@Tomcat, is that your P-51?

Tomcat

GT Owner
@Tomcat, is that your P-51?
PM'd you.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I am not a Monterrey expert (only been once), but my experience during Pebble Beach was mostly sitting in traffic in my rental car.
I would skip Sunday's Pebble Beach Concourse. Or if you have to go be the very first. Too many people, long lines for everything, Port-a-Can toilets that are overused, unremarkable food, etc. The view of the ocean before the thousands arrive is very nice.

I would recommend The Quail on Friday. You will pay 3x more than Pebble Beach but it's 10x better. Amazing food/drink (included in ticket price unlike Pebble Beach), ultra clean real bathrooms, more exotic cars/less antique cars & best of all: less people (they limit number of attendees).