Trading 05 GT for new Porsche 911 GT3RS Good idea ?

HUBBSTER

GT Owner
May 9, 2010
Miami, FL
My friend who is an exotic dealer wants my 05 GT so I told him I’d possibly trade for a GT3RS. Having second thoughts cus prices on everything exploding now. Is this a good idea or not ?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Not sure how anyone could possibly answer this, as there are so many different and varied factors that go into car choice.
Plus, this is a Ford GT forum.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Depending on your car, this probably wouldn’t been a good trade for you in the past several years? A 2022 GT3 rs would go for what, $240k with good options and no dealer markup? What FGT isn’t worth more than that? Maybe just mine :)

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I probably wouldn't do it. But I don't know all the details.

Last edited:

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Both great cars. But they’re perennially coming out with GT3s. There aren’t any more 2005-2006 FGTs being produced. I’d keep it the FGT. Or maybe just add a car to the stable, if you’ve got the resources (space, $) to do it.

JGT

Mar 12, 2021
I have a stellar GT3 I will gladly trade to you to add another FGT to my garage!
Message me and I'd be more than happy to talk GT3 or the trade if you want.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I would not make that trade (unless he is handing you a pile of $ also). 992 GT cars are around the corner, 991s are going to "yesterdays" GT3RS very soon (and the deprecation that goes along with it). Not to mention but the FGT is one heck of a car.

Reactions: Cobrar

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
HUBBSTER? It’s not April 1st yet….

Reactions: 2112

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
not.

Reactions: 2112

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
I had a beautiful new black GT3 (not RS), it was super nice. The tiptronic shifts fantastic and the handling excellent. Great engine. It also bored me compared to the Ford.

I got the carbon seats and they were too low for me plus no adjustable backrest. I didn’t like the giant spoiler and the worst part was the steel brakes (shoulda paid the 13k for carbon) squeaked like a mother on the street.

It would have been fantastic on the track but that’s not my thing. I’d have been better off with a used S or 4S manual. End result was I sold it in 6 months. The touring version has me intrigued though, maybe do a euro delivery.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Last week a 2005 FGT with accident history went for 366k on bring a trailer. Unless you are in a hurry,it might pay to wait to see how 992 GT prices impact the GT3 RS value.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Last week a 2005 FGT with accident history went for 366k on bring a trailer. Unless you are in a hurry,it might pay to wait to see how 992 GT prices impact the GT3 RS value.

And it was a hard hit, not a bumper scrape or bumping a curb (like my car).

Reactions: Cadster

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I most likely wouldn't do it, without even knowing all the details. But it's a personal choice. If you need others to justify it, perhaps you might want to re-consider.

Sold my 1995 993 manual right before the NFGT. Sure, a 993 is not in any way, a GT3RS, but it was a really engaging car, and I thought I would keep it forever.

But no worries, the NFGT (and '05-'06 GT are in another league with respect to engagement).

Reactions: Cobrar

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Unless you really need a change, and don't have the cash, I would not do it.
Learned the hard way, years ago, don't part with stuff you already own.
Just my experience.
Wish you the best on your decision.
Mark

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Keep the GT and buy a GT3RS if you want one that badly

Reactions: F Pilot and ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I’ve previous owned two RS’s and one GT4. I still own my one owner (me) 2005 FGT. Porsche’s are great cars but…

Reactions: john gourley

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Love Porsches and love Ferraris. Have one of each and enjoy driving and appreciating all their aesthetics and engineering marvels but... to me they can never replace my Ford GT. They can coexist but never replace.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Like the Ford GT commercial said
ITS THE ONE!
Go on The Porsche Forum Rennlist and ask what they think!

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Like the Ford GT commercial said
ITS THE ONE!
Go on The Porsche Forum Rennlist and ask what they think!

I went over there yesterday specifically to look to see if the topic had been posted. I generally find their posters to be pretty honest about other brands, unlike the Ferrari fan boy dwellers. A couple of years ago I posted a new GT3 vs Scuderia thread and most preferred the Scuderia.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I’m gonna say it (after recently buying my first-ever Porsche, a 996 911 Turbo); Porsches are boring. I feel better now, thanks.