Track Day Insurance

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Anyone have recomendations for purchasing insurance for track days? Not racing but HP driving events or driving schools. Years past State Farm would cover driving schools but they no longer do.

Would like to go to Mid America or attend some events a Texas World but not without insurance...just in case.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Safeco Insurance will cover you if it's not a "timed or competitive event" so an open track/driving school will be ok. AAA Insurance will cover you on a public road but not at all on a "racing surface". If you want to do the Silver State Classic or another open road event go with them. Safeco won't cover you on a public road if it is a race but AAA will. AAA won't cover you at a track but Safeco will if it isn't a race. This was as on their 2010 policies but I haven't seen if there are any changes for 2011.

This topic has been covered many time on this forum. Do a search of past posts.

Ed

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
http://www.hwimotorsports.com

I saw this ad for track day insurance in a recent motor mag.

Ed

Last edited:

dpdive

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I purchased track insurance from these folks at http://motorsports-insurance.com/ It's through Lloyds of London so not cheap but they let me insure it for $290K with a 10% deductable. I had to take it for a year with a maximum of 6 events during that time. Ask for Bob he provides the coverage for the organizers at the Salt Flats and is very knowledgeable. They base it on your past track or racing experience as to whether or not to write the coverage.

dpdive

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I forgot to mention that they will not cover any straight line event such as Texas Mile. Only road courses or select ovals.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I forgot to mention that they will not cover any straight line event such as Texas Mile. Only road courses or select ovals.

But the Salt flats are OK :confused

Just asking.

dpdive

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2009
Buffalo, NY
No straight line events are insurable which includes the Salt Flats only road courses or some ovals.