Track advices??

esco256

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2009
I'll go To Monza Track at the end of August:biggrin with the ferrati club:thumbsdow:ack:thumbsdow
I need some tips to keep the car in perfect condition...
I just past 5000miles and changed the oil.
I heard about some transaxle troubles, And I see that I have a bag with extra bolts with "Factory recall" write on it
I don't have the transaxle cooler.
Do you think I could have some troubles if I stop each 3 laps to cool the engine??:confused
Any advice to keep it away from mecanical troubles??

Thank you Everybody for this really great forum:thumbsup

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
So, esco256, are you a FGT owner?
As you are listed as a spectator.
Thus do your track questions pertain to a Ford GT or some other car you are planning on tracking?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Watch the coolant gauge for temperature. At 240 degrees F the car will go into limp mode until it cools. A transmission cooler should also be one of your first orders of business. Kendall (nota4rari) has a really trick setup ready to go from his CoolTech outfit. Make sure your brake pads are in good shape, and maybe change your brake fluid.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Always flush and bleed your brakes, if the fluid is much older than a few months. The last thing you want is boiling "wet" brake fluid at the end of a fast strait!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
this may sound funny but before 210-220 degrees the cooling fans will not come on unless you turn the AC on. Personally I would consider running the AC if you are going to run hard and do it from the start.

Or you can get a tune where they come on much earlier.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
"I heard about some transaxle troubles, And I see that I have a bag with extra bolts with "Factory recall" write on it" - '256.

'Best check with the previous owner (I assume there IS one from what you stated) and make sure the origional factory 'bolts have been changed BEFORE the car goes anywhere...especially the track. If those "let go" at the wrong time you could be up to your eyeballs in guano - fast.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Esco,
What kind of experience do you have driving on a road race circuit? Knowing this will help in giving sound advice. :thumbsup

esco256

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2009
Thank for your advices!
Indy GT: Yes I'm a GTowner and your not the firtst who tell me to change my profile but I don't know how to do it!
KJRGT: I've been many time in racetrack with an STI 02' with 450rhp and do some icetracks too...I know STI troubles on the track and know that you can't have good fun without troubles if don't change few things. I'm a begginer with Gt's and think it's better to ask before have big troubles!!

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Great discipline and planning keeps one away from "big troubles" so you are on the right track.
Others have given you excellent issues to review, one I would add is to go to Safecraft.com and look over their 6 point racing harness and cabin mounted fire extinguisher for Ford GTs.
The harness works with stainless clips that mount to the stock seatbelt bolts, allowing temporary race track use, not full-time service. It is much better to be able to use the steering wheel for just that, steering, and not have to use it to hang on to while driving a road course. And needless to say, should "big troubles" occur, you will be safer than the stock three point seatbelt.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Good to see you have now been upgraded to "owner". Welcome!

I echo what others above had said, particularly Pockets recommendation to check to see the half-shaft bolts have been replaced either under the Ford TSB (now since reimbursement has expired) or the Accufab bolt kit. Also with track use it is strongly recommend you install the transaxle cooler. Kendall makes a very nice unit and Ford Motor Racing also has a kit. Install one or the other and you will need an additonal 7/8 quart of the FGT specific Motorcraft transaxle fluid. Also highly recommended you use specifically the Ford called out fluids (engine oil and transaxle fluid) in your car. If using the Goodyears, try 29psi F and 30psi R as a start point as recommended by Ford engineers I have talked to. Obviously adjust to your personal preference/skill. Also good idea when finished with a track session, pop the clam shell to allow cooling of the engine compartment. Some owners have experienced clam shell vent warpage due to heatsoak most probably with non-OE exhaust systems, though it can not hurt with the stock/Borla muffler as well.

Respect the car and the attending torque. Better yet attend one of the rallys and get a track ride with Gene or Mark the FGT test engineers. With hundreds of track time hours, they can show you the unbelieveable handling attributes hidden in all our cars.