Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC

Last edited:

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
clarkson

Centerpunch,
they repeat the program Tuesdays. Will report tomorrow then, was on the plane Sunday evening... :ack

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
The GT wasn't mentioned in the latest episode.

I met with Clarkson at the Top Gear studio (before I knew I was getting a GT) right after he returned his GT to Ford and he was given an Aston DB9 on loan until Ford sorted out his GT. My impression was that, whilst an incredibly likeable bloke (and he really is), he was being just a teeny bit precious about the malfunctioning aftermarket alarm system (the cause of his dissatisfaction with the GT). I offered to buy his GT from him, but he wasn't able to sell it as he was waiting, at that time, to have it fixed. I'm seeing him again in December, so unless he talks about it on the show, I'll let you know the story as I'll make a point of asking him.... I've just remembered, I think Ford bought his GT back from him as the publicity they were getting from Clarkson in the Sunday papers was not exactly positive. I suspect, therefore, that they fixed it and he bought it right back.

I had my GT 'Zymoled' yesterday. Wow! It looks more attractive than any car has a right to be!! I am hopelessly in love with it's looks and performance - just hope it lasts!! N

Last edited:

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Tuesday top gear

Sorry, nothing also in Tuesdays show. Was a previous repeat comparing the new Carrera S and Chrysler 300 vs Holden Minaro vs Jag S rs :frown

drive4fun

GT Owner
Sep 27, 2005
so how do we in 'the states' get to see the top gear shows???

2005FordGT

Ford GT. It's The One.
Aug 8, 2005
New York
If you don't already have a torrent client I recommend BitLord and then go to www.mininova.org and search for Top Gear and click download :cheers

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
centerpunch said:
JEREMY CLARKSON HAS REPURCHASED HIS FORD GT:

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,12529-1805419,00.html

Driving
The Sunday Times, October 02, 2005
By Jeremy Clarkson

The first three weeks of Ford GT ownership were not happy. Its alarm went off constantly, the anti-theft tracker cried wolf every five minutes and the satellite navigation system caused the engine to think it might be a dishwasher of some kind. So I sent it away and demanded my money back.
This didn’t go down well with the readership of The Sunday Times. Every day my in-box was choked with more and more missives from angry people saying I’d been too rash, that I’d waited 40 years for this car and shouldn’t have given up because of some small electronic glitches.

You were right, of course, so I’m delighted to say that it’s back, sitting in my drive looking all blue and huge.

They’ve fixed the alarm by winding down the sensitivity of the sensors. Now you could host a showjumping competition in there and the siren would remain mute. They’ve fixed the tracker by turning it off. And I don’t know how they fixed the sat nav, but whatever they did it only lasted a mile before the engine warning light came on again.

Who cares? This sort of thing is bound to happen on a car that’s right out there at the technical limits of what’s possible. The mistake I made before is thinking the big Ford could be an everyday car, and it can’t. It’s for when the sun is shining and the roads are quiet. It’s a car for high days and holy days.

This guy's a pansy.Whatever aftermarket crap he put on it shouldn't be blamed on the car. It IS a wonderful everyday driver and he should have just fixed or removed that third party junk instead of giving up on the car. Unfortunately his celebrity status got him far too much press on this subject so now a lot of people think the car is piece of junk. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I agree,.... " a pansy " and someone who is used to toss his weight around, Ford gave him a DB9 loaner.... However, as I understand the anti-theft electronic were provide by Ford for UK cars. Hope someone can clarify.
Glad he is back in the seat of a GT

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
My understanding is that it was Roush in the UK (a Ford partner I think) that fitted the tracker and also adjusted or re-fit the alarm system. Roush are about to pick my car up to fit Tracker (which is demanded by my insurance company).

In mild defence of Clarkson, he's actually an extremely nice bloke - but you're very close to being spot on with your description! He's the UK's most influential motoring journalist and, of course, as a consequence he's completely spoilt with every car manufacturer on the planet flinging cars at him to try out. To have just tossed the GT away was totally wrong just because there was an electronic glitch with an after market third party electronic gizmo (particulary as he has always lusted after the GT). However he's now happy and has his car back.

I won't claim to know the American 'star' system, however I'd guess Clarkson is regarded a bit like Jay Leno over here - he's a 'lad' that loves his cars and is entertaining to listen to. I think he accepts that he probably was a complete pansy for having such a hissy fit!!

Speaking as a GT owner (who's deeply in love with his car :biggrin ) it's actually quite a good thing that Clarkson has personally paid for one - it shows just what a wonderful car it is.....

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
clackson the dude...

I liked his show a lot.... I still do.. but his pretentiousness is at least as annoing as his aftermarket crap he put on his Gt, it seems. And there is a saying, the dog will always look like the master. So maybe it is just his GT that is in it's behaviour trying to shadow Mr Clackson (more appropriate renaming of the dude), making similar Primadonna noises as his master on his driveway... Mine doesn't !

I stopped watching his show. I might turn it on some time down the road, but I'll be less virgin about him from now on, no doubt. He lost a lot in my eyes with this bullshit sissy behaviour (UK version), be a man about it and not so whimpsical from now on! And, give back the car for good, only real men should drive one... :ack

Happy to tell him this even on the show, I'm sure I'll manage to get applause from the crowd there. Why don't we go there once soon, and in the name of the GT community demand he gives back the car as he's not Man enough and has no fair judgement to pull the car in the dirt, for some aftermarket or installation crapo by whoever.

Last edited:

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
And the guy couldn't even drive sheep...

In all the sideways and fast driving clips shown on Top-Gear, it will all the time be a "stand-in driver" doing what JC takes credit for...

Just to defend him a little on the car trouble he's having, I'll point out hat the alarm and tracking system on his car, is fitted to all European cars... Due to insurance demands etc.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
This might be slightly off topic, but the whole "have to put on tracking systems to keep my insurance company happy" thing has all the markings of questionable corporate alliances. The idea that a tracking system is absolutely necessary to keep a car from being stolen is complete BS. :bs

I don't think Britain (or Europe) have noticeably higher car theft rates than the U.S. In fact, I'd wager the stolen car rate is lower over there. So where does this, "You MUST have a tracker on your car!" crap come from? An agreement between the insurance companies and the "tracking" system companies? That's the only explanation I can come up with.

And to be clear, I don't believe aliens landed at Roswell or that JFK was shot by anyone other than an angry white man whose life was going down the tubes. So I'm truly not into conspiracy theories, but this whole business smells fishy. :confused

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I guess if there's a system out there that can recover 90%+ of stolen cars, undamaged and catch the thieves too - I can see why the Police and Insurance companies are supporters of Tracker. A friend of mine was burgled at knife point a couple of years ago and they took his car too - Tracker found the team of burglars immediately.

It may well be a small Cartel between insurance companies and Tracker - however there are insurance companies who won't insure without Tracker and those that will. So there is a choice.

From my perspective, it's a system worth having. I have several cars that are unique (the only ones ever built) - so I'd rather have them back than have the cash. It's a pain to install, quite expensive etc But on balance - it's not a bad thing to have.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
A friend of mine was burgled at knife point a couple of years ago and they took his car too

"burgled at knifepoint..."??? I wish they'd try that here in Texas. He'd find out what it's like to bring a knife to a gunfight.

Last edited:

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
tONITE 'S THE NIGHT !

GUYS,

TONIGHT IS THE SHOW ABOUT THE FERRARI430 FORD GT AND PAGANI ZONDA THROUGH FRANCE

BBC 2 at 8 PM

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Texas, I know you're right! Sadly, here in the UK, it is the victims of violent crime who seem to be the ones punished for reacting with equal violence. There was a famous case here of a farmer who was put in prison for shooting a burglar recently....

On to more pleasant subjects.... Top Gear tonight!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Top Gear last night saw the three presenters take a Ford GT, Zonda and 430 spider to the South of France...

It wasn't really a comparison (as the three cars are all quite different) but more of an opportunity for lots of moody shots.

Ultimately Jeremy Clarkson loves the GT but admits that the Ferrari was the best handling on twisty mountain passes.

They drove them through the centre of Paris (very brave given how flamable they are) and the Zonda got stuck coming out of an underground car park. eeek!

Nice to see the GT, once more, being praised and also that it would be in the same company as the close to $1m Zonda!

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
Does anybody know why the tailights flicker on camera? Probably something similar to tv flicker when viewing through camera.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Yes, I was told and can't remember the technical reason. I noticed it first when a DB9 was filmed - and they appeared to flicker on an off. It's the new (ish) types of bulb used not agreeing the digital camera somehow.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
fordification said:
Does anybody know why the tailights flicker on camera? Probably something similar to tv flicker when viewing through camera.

I'd LOVE to have mine flicker like that, with a throw switch activated like when you are in a cool down lap on the circuit or getting ready for reentering the pitlane... :thumbsup

anybodu know if that can be modded ?