Tires are available

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
One dot will be for the heavy spot. Sometimes another dot is for a high spot. Rims are marked too. I can never remember what's what and neither can the tire guys

Reactions: jammer

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016
Long time ago my 1990 Miata had red dots on the tires lined up exactly with black dots on the wheels. That's how the car was delivered new. The tech told me the tire dot marks the lowest point on the tire because tires can almost never be perfectly round and so are the wheels. So the two dots need to correspond with each other for a perfectly balanced tire/wheel comnination or something along those lines. Never confirmed that because it sounded like a good explanation until today when I heard unconvincing explanations from the shop that installed my tires.

Pettyfan43

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2022
Patterson Ca.
A new topic for Hudson1234 on BaT instead of tire date codes what’s the dot?

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
A new topic for Hudson1234 on BaT instead of tire date codes what’s the dot?

That guys has some weird obsession.

Reactions: Pettyfan43

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Did they high speed balance? The tires are supposed to be good in excess of 200 mph if high speed balanced. Mom and pop may not have the right equipment. As I remember. the two dots indicate the heavy spot on the tire and the light spot on the wheel (or vice versa). and just give a general alignment for the mounting staff. It does save time and extra lead weights. The Bridgestones are pretty equally balanced straight from the plant. I will send the Grey Ghost a note so he can chime in.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The Bridgestones are pretty equally balanced straight from the plant.

I have never had tires balance with less weight.

BBS wheels help a lot, I am sure.

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
When we were at Saleen SSV the tire wheel station guys were mounting and balancing. They were applying to
the little dot stickers. I presumed they were weight points. I still have them on my original set of tires wheels from my car and my sons. I will look when in shop today.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
See this information from Tire Rack:

tire-wheel-uniformity-and-match-mountings-role

reiner

Dec 31, 2019
With due respect. What ever you like is ok by me
But I’m sticking with what I know
The bad news MUST be true!

reiner

Dec 31, 2019
have Nitrogen in the tires for my CJ3 and it's use in aircraft tires. 1. high altitude freezing 2. disipates through rubber slower than oxygen. 3. No moisture so not as much rubber degradation. 4. On landings tremendous heat can build up.
No one fills tires with oxygen.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
The reason for using nitrogen in aircraft tires has to do with high pressure. Except for light aircraft (think Cessna, Piper, etc.), aircraft tires operate at very high pressures—hundreds of psi. It’s much more practical to use a high pressure gas cylinder/regulator to fill them than an air pump, and if you’re gonna choose a gas that is readily available in high pressure cylinders, cheap and relatively inert, nitrogen is the most practical choice. The kinetic diameters of N2 and O2 are so close that there’s no appreciable difference in permeability through rubber, but pure O2 would probably break down rubber faster due to it’s much higher chemical reactivity.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
The reason for using nitrogen in aircraft tires has to do with high pressure. Except for light aircraft (think Cessna, Piper, etc.), aircraft tires operate at very high pressures—hundreds of psi. It’s much more practical to use a high pressure gas cylinder/regulator to fill them than an air pump, and if you’re gonna choose a gas that is readily available in high pressure cylinders, cheap and relatively inert, nitrogen is the most practical choice. The kinetic diameters of N2 and O2 are so close that there’s no appreciable difference in permeability through rubber, but pure O2 would probably break down rubber faster due to it’s much higher chemical reactivity.
And blow up when heated