Tire Life

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Has anyone had to replace their tires yet? If so what was the mileage you attained before a new set was required?

It would be nice if you could give some context when replying, i.e., give a description of your driving habits. After all, if you're gettin' on it and performing burnouts every day, then 3000 miles before tire changes would be understandable. :thumbsup

Eric

Last edited:

rickisapilot

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Any info?

I've been watching Eric's thread here because I have the same curiosity. The GT is the most exotic car I've owned & I don't really know what to expect (read: budget) as far as both TIRES and CLUTCH under normal, easy driving. Any info guys?

----Rick

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Only because of a screw the size of Nessie!
Right on the corner- of the rear tire- that way it would be more expensive- Thats the way Murphys' law works--- oh, and the sealant is 90 smackers to replace.
The pump/sealer worked real nice.

Manny

Last edited:

scode

Mar 28, 2006
Plymouth, MI
One of my customers who had 9000 miles + or - needed rear tires. He said he has not been doing any hole-shots though. :wink I know that he does "Drive his car". Hard accelaration and braking will take it's toll on these tires.

Mad Max

Apr 7, 2006
SE Michigan
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar P235/45/ZR18 = $259.99 ea
P315/40/ZR19 = $419.99 ea

rickisapilot

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Mileage Interval

Guess I should have been more specific. I'm wondering about the *mileage* interval between tire & clutch changes. I drive my car easy, but Ferrari guys tell me around 20k miles would be good for both. Is that pretty typical for a "supercar"? I've been used to 100k+ on my daily drivers :wink

----Rick

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Rick = rear tires will go betwen 6 - 10,000 miles. Mine are 75% used at 8,000 street miles. Remember they are AA Rated (very soft) with 60% of the weight of the GT on them. Fronts should go at least twice as far.

Track useage will vary - one weekend for a set of tires might not be unusual. Same with brake pads. One set for a weekend at the track has been reported by more than one GT owner.

Other than under waranttee replacement, or operator abuse, there's been no reports on this Forum, the best I can remember, of normal clutch replacements. I would guess that they will last considerably longer the the F guys get out of their clutches.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
American sports cars tend to have long clutch lives relative to European sports cars. Part of this is due to the fact American cars tend to have more torque and require less clutch slippage to get moving.

Part is cultural: Americans love to hammer the clutch doing burnouts, drag racing and street racing. Historically, Europeans tended towards road racing where clutch abuse is less an issue.

Last edited:

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
PL510*Jeff said:
...Remember they are AA Rated (very soft) ...

Not quite. The first letters [AA] indicate the traction grade. Traction grades are based on the tire's straight line wet coefficient of traction as the tire skids across the specified test surfaces. The UTQG traction test does not evaluate dry braking, dry cornering, wet cornering, or high speed hydroplaning resistance. AA is the best.

The softness is rated by a number, for example 60 being very soft like a Dot-R competition tire and 400 being a hard street tire. The Goodyears on the GT are rated at 220, which is on the soft end of a real street tire.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
EasyEric said:
Has anyone had to replace their tires yet? If so what was the mileage you attained before a new set was required?

Eric

When the time comes for new street shoes, what are our choices? Anything better than the OEM Goodyears available or recommended ?

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I have about 3,200 miles on my GT and the rear tires are nearing end of life.
I'd say at around 4,000 I'll be thinking about new ones, maybe 5,000 if I remove some of the lead from my foot.

I guess running the GT at full throttle from stop light to stop light isn't good for tires. :biggrin

Front tires look fine.

I did a hole shot in my driveway the other day for fun and there was a pile of rubber left.

jkgt

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2006
Colorado
GO TO TIRERACK.COM. FOR THE REAR TIRES. THEY ARE $332 A PIECE AND FIND A TIREWORLD NEAR YOU FOR BOTH FRONTS MOUNTED AND BALANCED FOR $250. PRETTY GOOD PRICES I THINK. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS I DONT KNOW IF I TRUST ANY ONE OTHER THAN FORD TO TOUCH MY CAR.

JOE

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
jkgt said:
GO TO TIRERACK.COM. FOR THE REAR TIRES. THEY ARE $332 A PIECE AND FIND A TIREWORLD NEAR YOU FOR BOTH FRONTS MOUNTED AND BALANCED FOR $250. PRETTY GOOD PRICES I THINK. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS I DONT KNOW IF I TRUST ANY ONE OTHER THAN FORD TO TOUCH MY CAR.

JOE

As mentioned in a previous thread, make sure the wheels and tires are "Road Force Balanced". My Ford dealer does not have this equipment yet but my Porsche dealer does. Unless something changes at the local Ford dealership I will take my wheels and tires to my Porsche dealer for mounting and balancing and install them myself.