Tips on Changing tire

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
Noticed that right rear tire has a small screw in the tread and its does show some bubbling when water is poured on it. Anything special I should know prior to having the tire changed? I am going to replace with new even though it only has 600 miles on it. The tire store, Discount Tire, says they have done the GT before and have the jack pads. FYI, total cost including balancing is about $400. thanks.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Make sure they do the high speed balancing (I don't think all of them have the equipment for that) - regular they do is probably not going to be sufficient.

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
Make sure they do the high speed balancing (I don't think all of them have the equipment for that) - regular they do is probably not going to be sufficient.

Thanks AZGT! You wouldn't happen to know the torque numbers for the lugs would you?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Thanks AZGT! You wouldn't happen to know the torque numbers for the lugs would you?
100 lb. ft.

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Go to a place that has a Hunter 9700 road force balancer. This is currently the best system as far as I know. It will match balance the tire with the wheel. It will also indicate if tire or wheel is out of the usable range. A good tech that knows how to use this equipment is also important.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The lug torque is actually 111 as stated in the Service manual. I know, I know, the owner's manual says 100.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
The lug torque is actually 111 as stated in the Service manual. I know, I know, the owner's manual says 100.
So which is correct? 111 lb. ft. is pretty dog gone tight!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Service Manual was published after the owner's manuals, so I follow it. AnalogDesigner agrees and posts those values on the card furnished with the jack pads.

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006
My service manager told me 98lbs but the tire store looked it up and they had 110. I had them set 105. thanks for the reply's. Tire is on and I am rolling again only slightly lighter by about $400.

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
111, 100 does not really matter, as long as they are torqued evenly. 111 MIGHT not loosen sooner, but 100 will put less stress (lower odds of warping anything) on the assembly. If you check it occasionally, 100 will be fine...

e

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Torque 'em at 100 ft. lbs.

111, 100 does not really matter, as long as they are torqued evenly. 111 MIGHT not loosen sooner, but 100 will put less stress (lower odds of warping anything) on the assembly. If you check it occasionally, 100 will be fine...

e

The GT Guy told me 100 ft. lbs. is the correct torque to use [there are many errors in the Owners Manual and the Shop Manual].

And yes, TORQUED EVENLY is a MUST.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yeah, yeah, the GT engineers didn't even know the size of the lugs. 111 doesn't feel bad.