Timepiece Advice needed

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Hi guys,

judging the length of the timepiece thread I am hoping that someone here might be in the position to offer a recommendation for me (also a great chance to show off your knowledge :wink).

I am looking for a watch for everyday use around 1K US$. Looking for something that is not clunky as a tag heuer steve mcqueen (I have a small wrist and usually do not prefer huge fat watches) and also not a bling bling item like a rolex. Scratches over time will be inevitable but should still look good. Automotive story wouldn't hurt. Any ideas what I should be looking for ?

Regards

Matthias

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Mathias,

At $1000 you want to go with a Swiss automatic sport watch that's re-issue of a 60s classic

Fortunately, a few companies offer this; as well as the vintage originals on ebay for same price

https://www.uhren-lounge.de/c-500/tissot-uhren/tissot-sport-herrenuhren/tissot-prs-516

Oris Chronoris
Tissot PR516 Race
Tissot Valjoux Chrono (same movement as Daytona)
Glycine Airman SST

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 289
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 287
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 283
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 293
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:

Fracman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Houston, TX
I'm afraid that watches may have been made obsolete as of the announcement on Tuesday. Omega has served me well and a lightly used sea master be in range. I also like the Oris but have never owned one.

Last edited:

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
aehm noooooooooo ... though I am a computer addict ... no Apple watch please !

Fracman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Houston, TX
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Big large expensive watches are so passé . Swatch "jellies" are very in. I just about one on Amazon for $39.00.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Noooooooo, I already hated them when they came out end of the 80ies.

bmoullet

GT Owner
Apr 19, 2006
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Think about a Shinola. Assembled in Detroit with a Swiss movement. Lots of styles, colors and sizes are available. I have numerous other big name watches but I get the most favorable comments when I wear a Shinola. Prices range from $500 to $1000 US. They may be difficult to find in Europe but readily available on line and at any Neiman Marcus store. Fun watches.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Think about a Shinola. Assembled in Detroit with a Swiss movement. Lots of styles, colors and sizes are available. I have numerous other big name watches but I get the most favorable comments when I wear a Shinola. Prices range from $500 to $1000 US. They may be difficult to find in Europe but readily available on line and at any Neiman Marcus store. Fun watches.

I have a Runwell I wear as an everyday type watch. They aren't spectacular timepieces but they look nice. I also like them because it's not so comically large like many watches now.

watches_s_01_00010_ph_2000x1150_8.jpg

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Forget all that Swiss stuff, for $9.95 you can't beat this one, specially if you own a boat :lol :lol :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NHq3Yze6s0

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I can still hear John Cameron Swayze saying "It takes a lickin', and keeps on tickin'."

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
After my my home in Diamond Bar was broken into and a nice watch stolen in 1987, and two favorite watches were stolen in France in 2010, I am no longer interested in acquiring any watches of significant value....

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
After my my home in Diamond Bar was broken into and a nice watch stolen in 1987, and two favorite watches were stolen in France in 2010, I am no longer interested in acquiring any watches of significant value....

Can relate; insure with Chubb AND store in safety deposit box and rotate once a month

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
after I have gotten so much valuable advise I don't want to keep you disinformed what I did.

After reading all advise, looking for the proposed watches and thousands other watches I had to decide to skip all advise and buy something different:)

IkepodChronometerb.JPG

It's an Ikepod Hemipode Big Date from Marc Newson ( a well known australian designer that recently joined Apple) and is only 43mm in diameter. In contrast to the watch in the picture it has a regular non-tire wrist.

Guessing this kind of decision making isn't uncommon when shopping for a watch. Looking forward to the next Adventure ;)

Thanks to everyone for the advise, it was an interesting journey, didn't thought there were sooooooooooooo many watches on the market.

Last edited:

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Did you see the Limited Edition Thunderbird Ikepod watch? I bought two many years ago through Ford but later sold them. They weren't as impressive as I was expecting them to be in person. Highly collectible though. Marc Newson is a fantastic designer. Most notably for his furniture.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I am with you regarding bis furnuture. I also saw the Thunderbird Edition but somehow it didn't motivate me to pull the trigger. Don't know if the reason was that it was more looking like painted aluminium or that I am not a thunderbird addict. Girlfriend strongly voted against the tire thread watchstrap.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Great choice!

In the collectible watch world, orange is an iconic color for dials

Doxa originated the 300T diving watch sold in scuba stores in 1960s.

Usually was called blaze orange, high visibility orange or safety orange; orange buttons are classic too

The Ikepod was inspired by the Jenny or Aquadive Carribean 1000 Triple Safe case

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
^This. The economics of maintaining a beer taste even when you have a Champagne budget is very appealing.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Ha....What Hypocrisy:wink

We're all driving around cars (and planes) that cost ten times what we could get away with....what's the difference on wristwatches?

I'm not obsessed with collecting watches but its certainly nice to wear a sophisticated wristwatch on occasion.