Thoughts on these rear diffusers? Accident Damage?

Laurence

Apr 24, 2010
I'm going to look at a Ford GT next week that might be for sale, but one of the things that has jumped out at me in the pictures is the rear diffusers are not level... From what I've seen on other pictures the tops of these are normally level with each other?

FGTrear.jpg

It's a 2005 car with approx 5,500 miles on it.

When we get to look at it - hopefully it will also go up on a lift and can get a better look at it - but does anyone have any thoughts on potential causes? Is it a sign of accident damage? Do they easily get damaged while parking, or is it more likely a sign that this thing has spun off and hit something backwards at some point in it's life?

Would appreciate any insight anyone has.

It's not a deal breaker, anything can be fixed, but would like to know where else to look for signs of bigger damage that might affect the handling or safety of the car?

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
That's not a big deal. He likely backed into a curb or something. Those fins are pretty low. They attach to metal flaps on the rear that may be bent. It can be adjusted. Just take a good look at it when you see it in person but my guess is he got too close when parking.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I agree with B. West. as long as the carbon fiber fins aren't broke, you shouldbe OK. probably just need to pull the diffuser off and straighten the metal pan the carbon fins are attached to. they are probably a little buckled and it's distorting the whole thing. easy fix jmo

I'm not so sure about the damage being limited. Just went out and looked at mine on the lift, and for the diffusers to be curved like that (same on both sides, not likely to be accidental) requires damage to the screen above them. And, if the curvature extends forward under the car, the lower rear A-arms are just above the diffuser panel. Think about what the panel is screwed onto ....

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Looks to me like the exhaust extends too far down and is distorting the diffuser panel in the center.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Rear transmission heat shield seems to be missing. It's a black shield and all I see is the gray case.

Compare:

p1081235584-6.jpg

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Could be painted. Some people have done that to match the silver.

Laurence

Apr 24, 2010
I'm not so sure about the damage being limited. Just went out and looked at mine on the lift, and for the diffusers to be curved like that (same on both sides, not likely to be accidental) requires damage to the screen above them. And, if the curvature extends forward under the car, the lower rear A-arms are just above the diffuser panel. Think about what the panel is screwed onto ....

Good point - will have to see how far the "out of alignment" extends... Thanks

Laurence

Apr 24, 2010
Rear transmission heat shield seems to be missing. It's a black shield and all I see is the gray case.

Compare:

View attachment 37795

Thanks... will also take a closer look at 2 other GT's that are for sale in the country - although not the right colours for me - but would at least give a fresh reference point before looking at the one I really like.

Also - I love the ADD OCD plate number! Would be perfect for me if we could have letters on our plates here!

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
The state of Florida REQUIRED Xcentric to wear that plate.

Howard

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The state of Florida REQUIRED Xcentric to wear that plate.

Howard

Kind of like a "Student Driver" sticker.

Being OCD, I see two obvious things wrong. Diffuser bent way out of shape and a missing part. If I can see two things wrong in a small jpeg, what are the odds those are the only things wrong?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Put the bumper back…your problem will more than likely go away.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Get the GT guys to do a PPI and your worries are over

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Of course check it out, but all of the rear body is adjustable. Your black heat shield thing likely went by-by with the x-pipe. Like mine.

Interestingly, the folks on the assy line chose to not install all of the bolts (notice the virgin hole).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 289
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 287

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
The "heat Shield" plate is actually the muffler support bracket, not needed obviously once the muffler is removed for the X pipe so no concern that it's missing.

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
Right "heat shield" is not used for X pipe. It looks like the car "bottomed out " and bent the 2 rear support brackets below the bumper horns that secure the back side of the rear pan. That could be fixed but it would be wise to pull the rear pan off and check the transmission housing to inspect for cracks.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The "heat Shield" plate is actually the muffler support bracket, not needed obviously once the muffler is removed for the X pipe so no concern that it's missing.

It's called a heat shield in the service manual. Not needed as a muffler support, but why is heat shielding not needed? Does the X-pipe generate less heat in that area?

Last edited:

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
I installed the Stillen X-pipe. Their brackets replace the stock heat shield bracket. With the X-pipe, the exhaust is clear of that area - so no heat shield is needed.

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
Heat shield may be its secondary function, but without that bracket the 40 lb muffler is entirely supported only by the exhaust manifolds through the cats. Driving with the factory muffler and "heat shield" removed would be a bad thing, aside from what little heat shielding it may actually do.

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
I have fixed many of these. The fins are fiberglass and can be repaired easily. The belly pan might just be the brackets bent. Where are you located?

Mike Anderson
Missouri