The future of Ford GT racing

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Very interesting commentary from Marshall Pruett on the future of IMSA and WEC racing.
Not a very rosey future for the drivers it seems. Hopefully Ford and CGR can get the band back together in the near future.

BMW is exiting as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I read this editorial posted by another member of the Forum this afternoon and immediately started drinking Tito’s and Orange juice 🥤. Very depressing! Now it’s time to go to bed and I hope I don’t dream of this happening!

Reactions: GKW05GT

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
That article really bummed me out too.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I don't blame Ford for pushing the interest that they believe will benefit their business plan. I do feel for the CGR Crew and Drivers. They have given nothing but their very best. What a privilege to have been a fan during this time. I hope WEC, AOC and IMSA try to fix the dam with something more than a band aid but I'm kidding myself if there is anything more than the thinnest of chances.

Vince H

Last edited:

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
😕

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I can't fault Ford for the decision either. WEC is less relevant to marketing, and as we all have groused, the BOP formula keeps changing the playing field so everyone gets a trophy. I wonder what the other manufactures will do next.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Other manufacturers and race teams are thereatening too. Firm rules for the future needed. Engine rules especially as the cost to make new motors is huge. Nothing new here. It's up to the ACO.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
bummer.. was hoping the Hyper car class would come about. would be fun to see Ford and maybe Glikenhaus and others come up with some cool offerings

jlhoyt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 2, 2017
SE Michigan
that's a downer....I'm glad I made it down to see them race in the Rolex 24 this year.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Looks like Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta is the last hurrah...

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA

Reactions: DakotaGT

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Encouraging news. Speaking about lap times of a less-restricted GT, Holt had this to say:

“Every time someone interviews me about how quick a Ford GT GTE-Plus car could go, and I always say 3:30 because that’s the time they want. It could probably do a 3:20-25. There are around 490 horsepower.”

3:20-25 is between current P1 and P2 Le Mans times. I’d love to see the GT run at these speeds and compete in a hyper car top class. The GT is too special a race car to be mothballed early. Come on Mr. Hackett, even a mobility company needs excitement.

More from Racer.....

Last edited:

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Update on GTs in IMSA next year. Would be great to see them back, but with Keating running WEC, not sure who would run the cars. A couple interesting data points
- The proposals include all pro driver lineups
- They are handicapping their chances at 40-50%

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
To get back to "Race on Sunday, buy on Monday" sponsor motivation for the car manufacturers, maybe stop racing internal combustion engines since innovation has been stifled through BOP. Instead of internal combustion engine races, maybe have an unrestricted competition between, electric, hydrogen, nuclear, etc. vehicles. Manufacturers could use these races to advance new technologies. Maybe an Uber class or a self-driving car class? Maybe a self-driving car against professional racer class like playing a game against the computer. How about a remote control car class?

Kind of reminds me of the transition in the 1900s from horse racing to car racing.

Last edited: