The Definition of Horsepower

6s219

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 30, 2010
Covina, CA
Not sure if this has been posted before, but there were some interesting facts and some facts I would question.

[video=youtube;dgNUjY-lZac]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgNUjY-lZac[/video]

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Since there's presently no dyno that can actually measure the h.p. of a TF dragster/Funny Car, one would have to assume all those figures/facts(?) are 'seat-of-the-pants' estimates at best.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Don't know about that but I will say this. The first time you have your HP virginity ripped clean off by a top fuel nitro car will be the last time anything else even matters. The nastiest of nasty TT GTs from that point forward will amount to nothing more than a 50cc moped ridden to and from grammar school by a prepubescent 10 year old girl.

gtforme

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2009
The horsepower of these fire breathing dragons is astonishing , but what about the sound

I went to the drags once and they had top alchohol dragsters there and they were insanely loud , apparently they couldnt bring the nitro cars as they would get to many complaints from the house owners living 5 miles away

I have never heard the nitro cars in real life , any comments ???

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I have never heard the nitro cars in real life , any comments ???

Lemme put it this way...you don't "hear" the sound of a nitro car anywhere near as much as you FEEL the sound. It literally slams right THRU you. The nastiest stereo on the planet can't even begin hold a candle to wunna those cars.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
There is no comparison between an alcohol car and a nitro car. If you have never seen them... do.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I had the good fortune to be at the starters station for 3 runs of top fuel and 5 runs of Funny cars summer before last.

Hard to describe the feeling of having thousands of HP 10' on the left and thousands of HP 10' to the right.

Thank You again to Ford and John Force and some friends at NHRA.

The whoose you hear from further away is the air being sucked into the blower. The CFM is huge.

By the time I got enough air to begin breathing again, the race cars had finished their run.