The coupe or the roadster?

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
I got a Ford brochure at the Auto Show in Anaheim last week and it has the GR-1 very big (four page foldout) I think that it could be a clue that Ford is going to make this car because they had a lot of pictures of the Ford GT just before they started to make it as well.

I kind of miss the Concept roadster and regret how it seems to have been forgotten in the rush to laud the coupe. Some say the roadster was ugly but while I agree the grille cavity wasn't properly oval shaped, everything else about the design is brilliant, especially the carved-out-of-a-solid-billet alloy dash.And after all over 1,000 of the real Cobras were roadsters and only six coupes, so doesn't it make sense to make a new Cobra a roadster?

By the way, does everyone know Freeman Thomas, ex-Chrysler, ex-VW, is working with J Mays now, and Thomas was behind the Audi TT so I think that Ford will be going more retro with Thomas than they would have without him. His own car by the way is a hotted up old 911.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'd call for the coupe. I personally liked the roadster, but the Coupe is more the natural successor to the GT. Plus, it's ridiculously good looking to pretty much everyone who sees it. As they say, he nailed it on the first sketch. I do have a nice pic of the roadster my old man nabbed at some event and had Carrol Shelby sign...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Snapped these at the Charity Preview last year....tell me this isn't stunning.

Drool.

GR1.JPG

GR2.JPG

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
What's after the Shelby GT500?

I know the GT500 is not even out yet and I am considering the Hertz Shelby but a variation on that but I would be curious to know what is the next shoe to drop in Ford performace? I gather that with Ford stock down to $6 or so a share, there is not much money to make new performance cars but would like to see the Cobra Concept roadster or coupe make it to a showroom. Am I hoping in vain? Worrisome is that GM seems to have found a market for their two seat sports car they brought in below the Corvette. If they ever jam a V8 in that, they could have Cobra like performance...(yes, I know about the outside firms already doing that...) Ford will need a small roadster with V8 to counter that.

RisingForce

Dec 13, 2005
Ohio
bitzman said:
I know the GT500 is not even out yet and I am considering the Hertz Shelby but a variation on that but I would be curious to know what is the next shoe to drop in Ford performace? I gather that with Ford stock down to $6 or so a share, there is not much money to make new performance cars but would like to see the Cobra Concept roadster or coupe make it to a showroom. Am I hoping in vain? Worrisome is that GM seems to have found a market for their two seat sports car they brought in below the Corvette. If they ever jam a V8 in that, they could have Cobra like performance...(yes, I know about the outside firms already doing that...) Ford will need a small roadster with V8 to counter that.

Keep in mind that the Hertz Shelby will NOT be anything like the Shelby GT500. The GT500 will have a 5.4L engine , supercharged with 500 horse, while the Hertz will only be a Mustang GT with an extra 25 horse, runnin a total of 300 horse on a 4.6L.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I don't really get the whole auto industry. If ford stock is down, and thus they won't make the GR-1, why the hell spend millions to make a concept car. I mean really, shouldn't they just build cars they can sell rather than piss away money on outlandish prototypes they never plan to make? :frown

No wonder stock price is down.

I think they should build concepts, then, if people like it, build the car. I don't see how the GR-1 could be built and placed on the road with such a shiny skin, would cause all kinds of blinded drivers and accidents. Yes it's pretty, but what a waste on money. Without that shinny skin it looks like a porche to me.

If they do build it, take the lead from Ferrari and sell it for a set price, no dealers doubling the price (or at least Ford should get half the extra money).
They would have sold out on GT's long ago if buyers had to put down a heafty deposit, no price debate, and wait for the car. They should also put GT owners at the top of the list of potential buyers, Heritage owners first :biggrin

Maybe they can take the lead from Toyota and make a new line 'Lexus' It could be Drof. Who woulnd't want a Drof GT? Just rolls off the tounge.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
SuperB, your ability to articulate the English language is astounding. Perhaps you have been doing tooooo much coding. Besides, everyone knows Bill Ford prefers his red/white stripes and has NEVER been seen with a robin's egg blue heritage edition.