Tariff effect on new FGT?

If President Trump puts the 35% tariff on incoming new cars produced in foreign countries (as he has said he will do), are you guys prepared to pay another $157K for it?:pop

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I don't think the new GT will be considered a foreign produced car even if parts are made in other countries.

Ed

If I remember correctly, it is also being built in Canada by Multimatic.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Built in Canada. Could become a big issue. Interesting.
andy (ajb)

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Too bad, they may just have to keep some of those "foreign" cars in Canada. So maybe I have a chance of getting one.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The wheels of Washington move slowly. Some will be built before it could affect anyone. Unless they rethink the whole thing.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I thought the CF tub & body panels were being made in Canada, the CF wheels in Australia & the rest in the US. The cars to be assembled & painted in the US. But maybe someone with more knowledge in this matter could let us know.

Ed

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Its being made in Mexico. Everybody get your floaties ready..............we goin across the river!

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Unlikely to be a 35% tax imposed on cars produced in Canada and imported into the US. Canada has had an automotive free trade act with the US since 1965-long before NAFTA. With high energy costs in Ontario due to a misguided "green " energy policy and an unfriendly provincial and national business climate new plants are going to Mexico not Canada and production is even being shifted to the US (eg Camaro from Oshawa to Lansing) despite the benefits of a declining C$.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
And one must remember that Canada is a northern province of Michigan.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Would that tariff (if it comes to effect) apply to foreing auto makers or just american companies working overseas ?

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I think that the word "built" and the words "final assembly" could be a factor in play here. the car could be built in Canada but final assembly could be in the U.S. when they install the side view mirrors and floor mats. It's been done before and continues to be such as Toyota. we shall see. I think Ford will figure a way around it. let's just hope they do before Trump gets in. Mark is not exactly one of his favorite people right about now.

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
And one must remember that Canada is a northern province of Michigan.

Michigan's upper, upper peninsula.

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Michigan's upper, upper peninsula.
The assembly plants in Ontario are actually way south of the Upper Peninsula. In fact Canada is the first country you hit when you go due south of Detroit.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
There are no cars with 100% US made parts so this thread is kind of dumb. The new GT will be considered an US made car. What are we talking about here?

Ed

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If I remember correctly the Toyota Avalon is the most USA content car.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
There are no cars with 100% US made parts so this thread is kind of dumb. The new GT will be considered an US made car. What are we talking about here?

Ed

Things that are never going to happen.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal

Ed
What he said :biggrin

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Mark is not exactly one of his favorite people right about now.

What does this refer to?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
What does this refer to?

One more aspect to a thread that needs to die.

Ed