Targa NZ

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
This weekend is the Dunlop Targa Rally.

Steve Millen is the Guest of Honor, and the Ford GT is the featured vehicle for this event.

More info availiable at: http://www.performancecar.co.nz

Go safe Steve and Kyle.:usa

PNicholson

More on the race here also:

http://targa.co.nz/

Enjoy :)

Page

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Hey Guys!

Well, I have great news! We're holding strong in the top 10. Today was definitely not meant for us as it was primarily hill climbs and really tight windy corners. The leaders of the rally consist of three professional or semi-professional rally drivers with rally spec cars. Two Subaru's, one being driven by a guy that just won the New Zealand Rally Championship. Another by a women named Emma Gilmore who also drives professionally around the world. The guy leading the event is in a HUGE horsepower Nissan Skyline R34. He has won the event for the past 3 years and he drives like a mad man haha. He goes FLYING through blind corners and tight, twisty roads. It's pretty impressive to watch his video footage.

Dad and I are pushing hard but our goal is to have fun and keep the car in good shape. Ford GT's are FANTASTIC cars, but they aren't rally cars by any stretch of the imagination.

Here are some pictures that will scare a few people...Namely EP!

http://blog.stillen.com/2008/10/2008-dunlop-targa-rally-new-zealand-day-update-1a/#more-71

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Thanks for the update. I see you use what your sell, splash guards. They don't seem to work too well. The sponsors represented on the side of your car may not be too happy :lol

stillen_gt_filthy_side.jpg

Just kidding. I bought a set at your shop during Rally II, but didn't installed them until just before driving to Rally III. They gave me great piece of mind when I heard the gravel hitting my fender liners at speed. Made the round trip without any paint dings from tire debris. Great product! Good luck in the Rally :thumbsup

EP doesn't need any protection from road debris! :lol

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Never, EVER post pics like that again w/o the warning, "may be unsuitable for sensitive viewers"! :mad :mad :mad

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
http://targa.co.nz/

'Anybody know what kinda car that black one is with the "VIP PET FOODS" logo is on the side in the above vid? 'I know I should know'...it looks familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Thanks for the update. I see you use what your sell, splash guards. They don't seem to work too well. The sponsors represented on the side of your car may not be too happy :lol

stillen_gt_filthy_side.jpg

Just kidding. I bought a set at your shop during Rally II, but didn't installed them until just before driving to Rally III. They gave me great piece of mind when I heard the gravel hitting my fender liners at speed. Made the round trip without any paint dings from tire debris. Great product! Good luck in the Rally :thumbsup

EP doesn't need any protection from road debris! :lol

nuckin futs ...perfect :thumbsup

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Congrats Steve and Kyle, looks like you made the goal of Top Ten easily with an EIGHT PLACE overall of the 99 entrants of Modern class.....

Next year I'm sure you two will figure out how to shave ~24 minutes off the four day event. Safe trip and look forward to hearing more! :cheers :thumbsup

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Congrats!

See you at our SEMA dinner on Wednesday!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Never, EVER post pics like that again w/o the warning, "may be unsuitable for sensitive viewers"! :mad :mad :mad

Not only is it dirty - someone's written all over it as well! :eek

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Great result!! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Congratulations to Steve & Kyle - :cheers

Let's have a drink together at SEMA - :beer2:

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Well, I am back home in Irvine, CA and I am getting ready for SEMA.

We're very happy with the results from the week and Dad already has a long list of changes he'd like to make for next year.

I don't know if the GT will ever be able to win the event overal as many of the driver's are more daring than we are willing to be but we are confident that we can continue to improve.

Thanks for following along and I look forward to sharing a drink with you in Vegas!

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
"I don't know if the GT will ever be able to win the event overal as many of the driver's are more daring than we are"

The competition is driving less expensive-more expendable race cars :cheers

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
"I don't know if the GT will ever be able to win the event overal as many of the driver's are more daring than we are"

The competition is driving less expensive-more expendable race cars :cheers

That is precisely why we won't take the same risks that some of the other competitors take. At the end of the day a Subaru, or Nissan is a lot easier and cheaper to repair/replace than the GT.

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Feeling the same, on a lesser scale of course, last weekend at Willow Springs :biggrin

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Hey guys,

We've posted up some new pictures on the blog. All of the video's are with streetfire.net and they will be putting them up shortly.

Thanks!

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Sorry for the long delay in getting these video's up. Streetfire was slowed down by the Baja 1000 and SEMA show...

http://odeo.com/episodes/23746144-U...ve-Millen-runs-Targa-New-Zealand-in-a-Ford-GT

This is the interview that we did with them and we will be putting up some more in-car footage soon.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
What a great video...WOW!!
Tell me that GT-R stuff is just a tease....
You made us all proud.
Happy New Year!!!! :)

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
We do plan on developing the GTR for the Targa in New Foundland Canada. The road surfaces up there can get EXTREMELY rough and we do not want to subject the FGT to that kind of abuse.

We're going to continue racing the FGT in New Zealand and possibly expand to some other events in Australia. The GTR will be for the races that are a little harder on the car. Some of the roads that we will be racing on during Targa New Foundland have HUGE pot holes in them.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
You haven't seen pot holes till you have driven downtown Chicago,... lost my first wife in one... what a blessing... :)