Suppressing exhaust sound

piplani

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 30, 2006
Switzerland
I have both my GTs due to go for their 3 year control to the motor vehicle dept.Both have X pipes and will not clear the max db regulations.As things stand I would have to switch both to the original mufflers--a very time consuming and expensive excercise here since having got used to the sound of the X pipes I would need to switch back again.
I would greatly appreciate any advice regarding use of baffles or other such device to suppress the sound without having to switch to the original silencers.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I believe Shadowman(?) designed/made baffled exhaust tips for one of the aftermarket "X" pipes (Heffner's?)...which I would assume could be installed (with or w/o mods - 'don't know which would be the case) on anybody's "X" pipe in some sort of at least temporary fashion prior to that inspection.

You might PM him - if he doesn't see your thread in a short-short on his own. :cheers

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Might try supertrapps- disc only version might even fit on the end of your existing pipes.

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/cat.asp?CatID=27

http://www.summitracing.com/search/...isc-Only-Mufflers/?autoview=SKU&Ns=Price|Desc

Or...............

Use the "old school" solution: Stuff the pipes with coarse steel wool until car is quiet enough, clamp coarse screen over end of tips to keep the steel wool from blowing out.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
If I remember correctly, shadowMan concocted some baffles for someone. You can also stuff the pipe with steel wool to get you through a short time.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Use the "old school" solution: Stuff the pipes with coarse steel wool until car is quiet enough, clamp coarse screen over end of tips to keep the steel wool from blowing out.

...'don't know about officials in Switzerland...but, I know "the man" here in my own area has been wise to the ol' steel wool gimmic for decades! :biggrin

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I think you will find two or three hundred dollar bills folded tightly and discretely placed in the in the hand of the guy who is doing the test, will muffle the sound quite a bit:biggrin

Im just kidding ofcourse!

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
It doesn't look to be that difficult to swap in the stock muffler? With my truck I was always ready to swap injectors and turbo(s) to get by emissions if neccessary. That was a 4-6 hour chunk of work. This doesn't look nearly that time consuming. Maybe I'm missing something? I can't wait to get mine up on the lift and get the pans off :)

Good luck! You live in a beautiful land.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Good luck! You live in a beautiful land.

I agree - ANYWHERE HERE BUT KALIFORNIA! :biggrin