Supercharger pump

Tipo874

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Tucson, AZ
I am looking at the Helm manual and I cannot find where it talks about the parameters for when the supercharger pump turns on.
Anybody know when the PCM turns on the supercharger cooling pump?

Thanks, David

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
It doesn't have a thermostat. I believe the pump runs when the engine is running.

Forum tradition requires at least three people to say the same thing for it to be true.

Reactions: Special K

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
It doesn't have a thermostat. I believe the pump runs when the engine is running.

Forum tradition requires at least three people to say the same thing for it to be true.
+1 lol

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN

While Gary is correct, the "supercharger pump" is mechanically driven by a belt off the crankshaft pulley. Thus when the engine is running (the crankshaft is spinning) the supercharger pump is in operation by default.

Now perhaps Tipo874 is referring to another system loosely associated with the supercharging circuit. Important to use and possibly understand the correct terminology to extract the answer you are looking for.

The 5.4 engine is fed compressed inlet air by a mechanical supercharger discussed above but before the compressed air is allowed to enter the cylinder for combustion, it is cooled by an "intercooler". This heat exchanger sits immediately below the supercharger, cools the compressed discharge air for better engine volumetric efficiency, has its own separate cooling circuit, a circuit dedicated "radiator" in the front of the vehicle and the pump moving the fluid in the intercooler circuit is thermostatically controlled.

I do not know of the top of my head the on/off pump activation limits for the intercooler circuit (if that is the information you seek). Perhaps Rich (GT Guys) might know.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
He is talking about the pump for the intercooling not the supercharger.
As far as I can work out the pump runs when the engine is running.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
It's an electric pump with a relay in the battery junction box. That is all.

Is your pump not running? First check would be the relay.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
My pump was replaced after it developed an unusual start stop pattern. Easy enough to check if it is running through the reservoir sight glass.