Summary of Variances between '05 & '06 Models

DWR46

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 20, 2008
In going through all of the threads related to the differences between 2005 & 2006 cars, it occured to me that it might be worthwhile to prepare a summary for other members of all the various items listed. I have done that below. If there are additional differences, please post them here and I will update the summary so we can all have a final version.

Ford GT
Variances Between 2005 & 2006 Models

Grille - The grille was changed at some point (deleted) supposedly to improve cooling. The front grill cost $175 with an extra 1,000 cars being produced saved $172,000, and so it may have been cost related.

Engine Cover Clip - The ’05 has a painted clip that covers the body seam on the engine cowl right at the top of the rear window on both sides. The seam clip was discontinued sometime during the ’05 model run. The later model
‘05’s don’t have it. 2005 VIN 786 does have this clip. The so called
“band aid’ clips, which were a patch on early to mid clam shells were for poor finish on the seam of the clam shell, 1314 doesn’t have it, I think around 700 or so the panel was just better made.

Engine Cover Springs - One of the better changes was the rubber stops that catch the engine cowl were changed to springs. This makes the hood spring open much better so you can get your fingers under it to push the latches. On my ’05 I have to pull up on the air intake to get it to open after I pull the release. The spring thing saved 13 cents from the bolt and grommet which is off the defunct T-bird. A neat trick is if you want your GT to look like a prototype buy 2 T-bird ones they have a rubber boot protector just like the proto’s. They also saved 3 cents by pulling the rubber boot off the GT ones. Inside the clam shell on real early cars the serial numbers are painted stamped on, not tape stamped on like the rest, also there are all chalk markings, line up markings on the real early ones.

Tires - The tire tread was improved. The ’06 has much more tread for some reason.

Front Hood - The inner front hood between the early and late cars, some were smooth and some were rough fiberglass. It apparently is not related to production date.

Transaxle - Early ’05 cars have a solid tube and fittings to connect the transaxle “pump out” to the “pump in” on the transaxle. The transaxle cooler bypass hose is solid steel on the ’05 and steel braid on the ’06.

Oil Reservoir - The brackets that secure the Oil Reservoir to the frame are silver on early ’05 cars and black on late ’05 and ’06 cars.

A-arms - All a-arms were to have been cast. Early ‘05’s were recalled because of the failure of an a-arm on one car. Thus if you’re a-arms are machined, done by Roush, they have the replacement a-arms which were installed to correct the problem while the casting process was being corrected. These early cars were either impounded at the factory, dealership, or a flatbed truck sent to the owner’s house to bring the vehicle back to the dealership for repairs. These repairs took several weeks to be made and in some cases maybe even 2 months because of the backlog. ’05 cars built post recall were built new (not retrofitted) with the billet arms. Production had not ramped up on the new forged arms so several hundred
‘05’s were built new with the “fancy” arms. In September 2007, there are a few sets of these billet arms still available but they are pretty expensive. It has not been stated just how many ‘05’s had them, but they did use up what they made, so we may never know exactly which number they stopped with. For reasons still unknown, the blank aluminum blocks were all shipped to the Wixom shop first, before being sent to Roush and Multi-Matic to be machined. Sure was a pretty site, pallets full of 40 pound aluminum blocks. Word had it that each arm ended up costing $2000 to $3000. When they started building the ‘06’s, they switched to the forged arms. Not as pretty, but a heck of a lot cheaper to make, and just as strong if not stronger. The first design was a casting process which, I believe at one time, they were even touting it as a new “breakthrough” technology –“squish cast”- a cheaper, faster casting method “almost as strong” as a forging. They had to delete those words in the 2006 Product Information Guide (page 12). The new design actually was forged instead of cast, and the beautiful billet ones were virtually “hand-made” while they worked on the tooling for the new forgings. They actually switched over to forged arms in August of ’05 prior to the ’06 launch. The event that triggered the change was availability of less expensive forged arms. They switched over when they could no longer build up a complete car with the billet arms.

Were the new A-arms the reason for the MSRP increase? That is a good question. There was a $10,000 mid year increase following essentially a $10,000 increase in cost due to the A-arms. Another owner had stated he was accidentally handed the bill for the A-arm change and it was right about $15,000. Maybe the increase was a partial recovery for Ford.

Seats - Very early bottom seats were creaky or fraying, and the Velcro and material were changed.

Door Panels - All ’06 door panels have the holding clips so they don’t fall off.

Windshields -Windshields on early cars are different (how/where the antenna and connections are).

Door Latches - Door latches were changed over to a quieter version and had cable/lever relationship changed so interior door handles functioned properly with less effort.

Side Scoops - On the top/back rounded center of the side scoops, on the
‘05’s, there is a small section of rubbed away paint; on all the ‘06’s I’ve looked at, the fix is a narrow piece of tape.

Seats - On the ’06 there is a section at the bottom of the seatback that is suede or rough-out leather. The ’05 has the same smooth leather as the rest of the seat. You have to look close or slide your hand between the seatback and bottom cushion to notice this.

Front Fender - Early GTs have an extension of the plastic front inner fender to protect the shock.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Interesting..!

I have an August 05 car and on the transaxle bypass (now removed due to cooler) it was a rubber tube...

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
While it's commendable that you spent all that time for the summary, some things are not entirely true or correct. The price on the front radiator screen was never known, and late '05s don't have them, for example, and it's still innuendo as to why they were removed. My '05 has the old latch bumpers and I've never had any problem opening my clamshell. As you peruse these threads, some of the "comments" or "absolutes" were left by people with an axe to grind or really just didn't know what the hell they were talking about. Some of the really stupid or ugly stuff has been deleted by the Moderators. This still doesn't take into account the differences of the 101 European cars or the ~ 300 Canadian. Since Goodyear made the tires, tire tread is their business, and I don't think there's any difference between '05 and '06 tires (both burn out at the same speed).

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Great effort, thanks for posting ..... and as I frequently try to remind myself, no good deed goes unpunished. That said, my only material comment is that I have an 05 and it had a braided steel transaxle cooler loop (replaced with the FRPP transaxle cooler). The seat thing I need to validate.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Were the new A-arms the reason for the MSRP increase? That is a good question. There was a $10,000 mid year increase following essentially a $10,000 increase in cost due to the A-arms. Another owner had stated he was accidentally handed the bill for the A-arm change and it was right about $15,000. Maybe the increase was a partial recovery for Ford.

There were probably many reasons for the msrp increase, which as I recall occurred 7/1/05, but IMO the #1 reason was that until late 2005, the great majority of GT's sold for much more than 10k over sticker. The msrp increase occurred while the mark ups over msrp were decreasing which squeezed the excess dealer profit, while providing Ford an additional 10k per car. One of the best car buying experiences of my life was buying my 1st GT in Oct 2005 for msrp, when the windshield posted a "market" price of $295,000. :cheers

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Market price

What is sad here is that the production and design team worked so hard to come in on budget - which they did - with many (difficult) compromises made. I remember discussing this issue with several of the build team at Camillo's party in Detriot. Their hands (and wallets) were tied. Witness Alex's & Tom's shocks...as after market shocks!

For the dealers to have milked the market as they did, having the production guys sit by watching and wishing they had an extra $10k to spend on real parts and improvements...is a sin! It's over, it's done...

All things considered - they did a wonderful job. :cheers

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Homing in on Dates

Grille - The grille was changed at some point (deleted) supposedly to improve cooling....

It was removed prior to '05 S/N 1857, #1757 of a build of 2022 and completed on 09-23-2005.

Transaxle - Early ’05 cars have a solid tube and fittings to connect the transaxle “pump out” to the “pump in” on the transaxle. The transaxle cooler bypass hose is solid steel on the ’05 and steel braid on the ’06.

Again, the braided hose was in S/N 1857 (09-23-2005).

A-arms - ... It has not been stated just how many ‘05’s had them, but they did use up what they made, so we may never know exactly which number they stopped with. ... They actually switched over to forged arms in August of ’05 prior to the ’06 launch.

Forged arms installed in S/N 1857 (09-23-2005).

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Great write up DRW. You really are one that likes to have everyhting "ON PAPER". I dont blame you. It makes for a good reference when you want to go back and review. :thumbsup

Now, didn't I hear something about a new "TOY" in the stable??

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
05 & 06 differences?

Thanks DWR46. It was a nice summary.

However, there are really no differences between the 05 & 06 GTs other than price & VIN numbers. The GT was a continous production car from 04 to 06. Changes were made along the way but with no regards to the year on the VIN.

Ed

PS My mid-2005 production GT has the seude sections of the seat. Ford just changed things when they either wanted to or needed to regardless of the year the particular GT was produced.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Thanks DWR46. It was a nice summary.

However, there are really no differences between the 05 & 06 GTs other than price & VIN numbers. The GT was a continous production car from 04 to 06. Changes were made along the way but with no regards to the year on the VIN.

Ed

PS My mid-2005 production GT has the seude sections of the seat. Ford just changed things when they either wanted to or needed to regardless of the year the particular GT was produced.

Ditto,

I have seen a Heritage with the silver dry sump brackets. My late 2005 #2005 also has the suede and the silver brackets. The side scops on this one aslo have the tape protection pieces. I think at the end of the day it will be speculation more than a defining time or vin for some of the little stuff. I like the tip on the Tbird springs, nice.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Differences

Pretty much the biggest difference is:

the '06's are a year newer.:thumbsup

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The '05s are lighter and have a bit more power, other than that...same.

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
Another data point on a late build 05'...
no. 1669 (so not quite at the model year end) : typical 05' meshed grille, SS braided hose on the trans, silver brkts on the oil res., suede style bottom edge on the seatback, rubber stops for the clamshell latches, billet machined A arms, and clear scuff tape on the side scoops. So even at this build there is a mix of some 06' changes.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
OK, if you guys really want to go crazy, how many front hoods have stop plates attached to the top of both side latches?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
go to bed fjpikul!

Stop plates? I'm not familiar with those on the front hood side latches.

Ed

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
That's why I'm asking Ed. The small variances in each of our cars are enough to drive you crazy if you keep looking for them. If you go through the old posts, one person has stop plates on his hood at the latches to keep from either puncturing or wearing out the fiberglass.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I was in Piko6's car the other week. His roof panel and head panel in the door from Ford is leather (smooth) while mine is a fabric based product.

He says it came that way. Early (under 500) 05 car. All he's been messing with is the engine and badges..:biggrin

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Interesting.

In going through all of the threads related to the differences between 2005 & 2006 cars, it occured to me that it might be worthwhile to prepare a summary for other members of all the various items listed. I have done that....

Great post. Thanks. :thumbsup