Stolen GTs

H

HHGT

I know of one incident where a GT had issues driving with car jacking in Mexico (allegedly) and this one http://cbs13.com/local/Ford.GT.Stolen.2.467044.html.

Has there been many GTs that were stolen?

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Only 500 of them in the whole country! Not easy to start and drive either.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Only 500 of them in the whole country!

That was probably the case when that article was published...... Dec 15, 2005:bored

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I would also have to ask if anyone has a list going of VIN's for GT's that no longer exist? totals, scrapped for parts, etc.

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
I am keeping a database with info on all 4038 GTs, which includes original build specs including colors and options, owner info, and modifications done by owners. I am also tracking wrecked/totaled GTs. The vast majority that have been wrecked have been repaired and put back on the road. Kind of scary that some of the wrecked cars show no history of damage on CARFAX, and some other cars that at some time got a "Salvage" title now show "clean" titles.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
.. Kind of scary that some of the wrecked cars show no history of damage on CARFAX, and some other cars that at some time got a "Salvage" title now show "clean" titles.

In my opinion, Carfax sucks. I'm currently selling a Porsche and getting lots of questions about the Carfax people are running, as they show my car as an entirely different model. AND..I know the VIN is listed correctly.

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
In my opinion, Carfax sucks. I'm currently selling a Porsche and getting lots of questions about the Carfax people are running, as they show my car as an entirely different model. AND..I know the VIN is listed correctly.

Similar frustration with Carfax and my '87 Porsche 930 cab, Tim. Many years ago before I bought the car, an emissions test facility noted the mileage incorrectly, and that triggered Carfax to flag the car as having a rolled-back odometer. I don't ever planning on selling it, but it's a pretty rare car which I have extensive documentation on and so it's irritating that this Carfax error is sitting out there.

I am keeping a database with info on all 4038 GTs, which includes original build specs including colors and options, owner info, and modifications done by owners. I am also tracking wrecked/totaled GTs. The vast majority that have been wrecked have been repaired and put back on the road. Kind of scary that some of the wrecked cars show no history of damage on CARFAX, and some other cars that at some time got a "Salvage" title now show "clean" titles.

For those of you who don't already know this, take a look at cobrajeff's signature - he's the registrar for the Ford GT at SAAC, and did a fantastic job putting together the info for the FGT for the last registry a couple of years ago. So he definitely knows what he's talking about. I've plugged this book before, and here it is again - it's a hefty book with a hefty price, but well worth every penny:

http://www.saac.com/index.php?page=...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=45

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It should be noted that Carfax will not know about any repairs done to a particular car if whomever worked on it did not reference its VIN/tabs on the paperwork...or somehow recorded 'same incorrectly...not to mention if there was no paperwork at all.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I know this is going to come out wrong even before I say it. I've known Jeff since the original Shelby era so I guess I'm giving away our ages. really good guy, truly knows his stuff and always has. I'm glad he has compiled the data on the new GTs. the only issue I have (and here goes the jab) I personally don't understand why the GT data should be part of the SAAC registry. I know Jeff has been part of SAAC since it's conception but don't get the relationship between SAAC and the new GTs. Am I missing something here? Granted, the data should be available somewherre and I'm glad Jeff has it. I guess I'm showing my hand about my feelings on SAAC which this isn't the forum to air out dirty laundry-I get that. please feel free to PM me. I don't want this thread to turn into something it shouldn't be. thanks

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
I guess the reason SAAC has included the new Ford GTs in their Registry is a result of Shelby's involvement with the racing success of the original GT40s. He was certainly instrumental in turning the GT40 into a race-winning machine. His involvement with the new GT was more in the role of a consultant - he's not building, racing, or selling them. When the Ford GT was launched, there was no Ford GT Forum. So, SAAC took it upon themselves to include the new Ford GT in their fold of high-performance Fords. I have been tracking the cars since the days of the black mule Test Cars that I saw over at Roush in 2002 (too bad I was not allowed to take any pictures).

Maybe someday we can combine the data and come up with a comprehensive Ford GT Registry with a focus on the new GT only. A LOT of interesting stuff I have collected (TSB's, Dealer Brochures, etc., etc.) did not get published in the SAAC Registry due to space constraints.

regards,

Jeff

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Jeff- fair enough. I guess I just never understood the relationship. thank you for the info and keep up the enthusiasm!

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Jeff, the work you have done and continue to do will become even more important as the years roll by. I for one very much appreciate it, and would like to see such a comprehensive registry dedicated exclusively to the FGT. Is there anything that Forum members can do to help get this started?

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
That's an incredible idea for a unique Ford GT regisrty. It has to be fairly close that there are as many Ford GT's out there as original SHelby cars ever built (excluding the newer Mustangs). I would certainly be a supporter of an FGT World Registry