Stock FORD GTs

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The funniest pic I ever saw on this issue was on a Watch forum....were members are famous for not wearing their watches, saving boxes, and wrappers.

It had a pic of a overweight Seniors group watching a talk on plants or something...

Quote was: "We are all going to be here eventually.....so pony up, wear your best watch, drive your fancy car, ask out the girl in accounting, and live it up while the living is good"

Next week I bought a GT.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Accufab X pipe, oil cooler, lowered, and clearmask. All original exhaust parts in a box in garage.
Nearly 10,000 miles now, and but for $h!t weather 6 mos of the year, I'd have many more.

Extreme281

Extreme281
Aug 23, 2009
Mine has 189 and i take it on special ocassions "B-day, New years "with simple mods that i can return the car back to stock if i choose to .But it will never be for sale and i choose to keep up the GT name on the street and show them my back bumper when necessary .Enjoy your GT's cause one day you wont be here and the car will be .

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
mine

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Have you not been tempted to even do a pulley and tune? I am thinking of it, but definitely going to change the exhaust, just cannot decide between the Accvufab from Revolve, or the full stainless system from Stainless Works?
Steve

Not even slightly tempted. :)

I've owned some fast metal over the years and the GT feels just right to me as it is. I don't crave sub 3 second 0-60 times, nor 400 mph. I'm one of those people who think, by and large, the designers got it right first time around and I like to let sleeping horses lie!

I really admire those who've dived in with spanners and enhanced their GT's, but I'm a stock person through and through.

steveirl

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2010
Ireland
I really admire those who've dived in with spanners and enhanced their GT's, but I'm a stock person through and through.[/QUOTE]
Interesting, and I agree with you somewhat. I was blown away by the GT when I took the test drive, at the time I was also considering a Murcielago, but the GT felt better built...well just better in every way, and it was what I had wanted most.
I am just about to send my car to the UK to Revolve, for a service, and I am very tempted to go with a pulley, tune, and throttlebody upgrade, the guys here say it "wakes up the car".:)
My main reservation though is it is too quiet for me, so an exhaust change is definitely on the cards, I just cannot decide between an Accufab muffler replacement, or a full manifold back system??
I have owned the Pantera below for eight years, and had a custom system built for it, with 3" collector headers, and 3" pipework mufflers in s/s, sounds epic. The GT needs more noise.

000_0011-1.jpg

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I am in the "leave it alone" camp. I have made only subtle tweaks, all reversible, but zero power upgrades. No pully or tune. Its fine for me. Last year I got to 175 at the rally Mile, would I have loved to get to 180's with a tune, or flirt with 200 w whipple, or 225 with turbos? Sure I guess, but driving someone elses car..... Car is wonderful to me as she came (YES too quiet, and w Borla, still not loud enough, but was the only product available at the time I got it, so debating the investment for X-pipe). Slap on some hoosiers, for the track, and I think I will be able to keep up, and if not have a hoot tryin....

tony h

GT Owner
Jun 16, 2010
United Kingdom
I have a 2005 with 2.7k miles - had 890 when I aquired it.

I have pully, throttle body and exhaust - all reversible if needs be.

I am not sure about cars with little to no use, surely this cannot be good for anything mechanical?

I view my car as a work of art and as such needs to be shared with as many as possible......you can lip read passers by as they shout "Ford GT".

Stevirl, definately go for the exhaust, mine is noisy and sounds like thunder. Also pops and crackles sometimes when you blip the throttle.

I note that you are in Ireland - I am in NW England so if ever you are across you are more than welcome to see/try before you buy.

Tony H

steveirl

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2010
Ireland
Thanks Tony.
What exhaust have you fitted?
Also by chance, do you frequent the FerrariChat forum?

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Not even slightly tempted. :)
I've owned some fast metal over the years and the GT feels just right to me as it is. I don't crave sub 3 second 0-60 times, nor 400 mph. I'm one of those people who think, by and large, the designers got it right first time around and I like to let sleeping horses lie!
I really admire those who've dived in with spanners and enhanced their GT's, but I'm a stock person through and through.

Exactement Monsieur, Stock is my preference also. Never modify, always original. However, I do enjoy the limits others take their GTs to as far as modifications. A pint to the "Mayfair Boys" who stay orginal
pint.gif

Neilda, will be coming through 1st part of December

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I have 12k on my 2006, just with a tune only and Bridgestone Potenza Scuderia tires.

I actually like the relative quiet exhaust, it doesn't wear me out on a trip.

As to those cars with no miles, I worry about the rubber seals leaking.

I had to get a new AC compressor (under warranty with 3 days left!) because my certified GT mechanic said I didn't drive the car enough.....

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Alot. Its an expensive car, and Mods are expensive.

The large % of modded cars you see for sale are more likely from Guys who did it, tried it and are now onto the next new thing.

I actually think basic mods are very reasonable. Even the big Whipple seems like a good deal, relative to the gains.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Eric, I am around in December, just shoot me a date when you're able......

Talking of people, mouthing 'Ford GT', we had a lovely sunny and warm day in the UK yesterday so I thought I'd take my GT out and drive down to deliver something to my boat. A great drive and I remembered very quickly how all traffic parts, like the Red Sea, when the GT is behind! I came to a school crossing for a boys school, just as it was emptying for lunch time - about 200 boys crossed the road with their teacher holding the traffic. I have never heard so many 'phooarrs' and 'cor look at THATs...'. It was hilarious.

It made their day. And mine.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I stopped at the Tallahassee Auto Museum a couple of days ago. There was a red with white stripes and a yellow with black stripes on display still in the plastic with all the window and door stickers still in place. Absolutely pristine and brand new. I sent the owner an email congratulating him on his taste in cars and colors.:lol

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
The funniest pic I ever saw on this issue was on a Watch forum....were members are famous for not wearing their watches, saving boxes, and wrappers.

It had a pic of a overweight Seniors group watching a talk on plants or something...

Quote was: "We are all going to be here eventually.....so pony up, wear your best watch, drive your fancy car, ask out the girl in accounting, and live it up while the living is good"

Next week I bought a GT.

I just stumbled onto this thread and was "moved" by this post. Good Philosophy for life!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
P.S I had some service on my Explorer today. I was surprised when I went to the Ford Dealership this afternoon with my son to pick up the Explorer with the Ford GT. Most of the sales staff had never seen a Ford GT. I told one sales guy, that "you guys used to see these here", he had no idea

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
mine is bone-stock other than hot buttons and new Bridgestones. Currently got 6,800 miles, but about to go up around 4,500 more when we drive up to Rally V. I love modifying stuff, but every time I get tempted to attack the GT, I go out and hack into my other cars instead - the GT 'as-is' is a lovely balanced machine.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I like the quiet exhaust too....its perfect.

Cant stand the whinning shriek of new Ferraris though

tony h

GT Owner
Jun 16, 2010
United Kingdom
Steveirl

I have a tubi fitted and would recommend one to anyone.

Dont frequent Ferrari forum - not really keen on them.

Thx

Tony

steveirl

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2010
Ireland
Steveirl

I have a tubi fitted and would recommend one to anyone.

Dont frequent Ferrari forum - not really keen on them.

Thx

Tony
Ah ok Tony, I am a member there and there was another with the same username as you. I have a Ferrari Boxer, am a big fan of the 70/80's cars, and a few of the 90's models, but most of the modern stuff does not grab me.