STILLEN Ford GT back in Targa competition!

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
I thought you guys might like to see that Steve brought the STILLEN Ford GT out for a blast in the Targa Bambina New Zealand this past weekend. Some of you may remember when we raced our GT in Targa New Zealand a few years ago. Targa New Zealand is a 5 day tarmac rally where all types of cars are raced. There are multiple different classes for everything from All wheel drive rally cars, Nissan GT R purpose built Targa cars, two wheel drive touring cars, all the way to the classic divisions with old Peranas and even a little Fiat Abarth. The primary focus on a Targa is to go out and have a good time for a week. There is no prize money, simply a little plate for the winners. Steve has been competing in these events for over 10 years now and they are an absolute blast!

In 2006 and 2008 Steve campaigned the Ford GT before making the switch in 2009 to the Nissan GT R. The GT is an awesome car, and it puts on a great show. However, it will never win the Targa overall. The all wheel drive cars are just too quick and have too much of an advantage in these races. Nevertheless Steve decided that the GT would be his weapon of choice for the two day Bambina. And, since this was just for fun, and he wasn't planning on pushing too hard, he volunteered his wife Jodi to handle the navigating duties. Jodi has only ever ridden with steve one other time on an event which was in 2010 at the Spectre 341 hill climb in the GT R. This was her first time in the GT and she must have done a good job as she navigated Steve to a second in class, third in modern 2WD and 6th place overall. They also brought home the honors of highest placed husband and wife team.

Prior to the race Steve said he was just going to take it easy. If the brake fluid boiled, they'd call it a weekend. It was just a two day event with his wife navigating, an old friend crewing and his niece tagging along to help out as well. Steve really enjoys the GT and just wanted to have some fun for the weekend. I only have one picture so far but here is a picture of Steve Millen taking his GT for a "sunday drive."

Targa Bambina.jpg

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Kyle, good to hear that the Old Man was out having fun in his Old/New GT. And he did well to boot.

Post more photo's when you get them.

Jeff
I thought you guys might like to see that Steve brought the STILLEN Ford GT out for a blast in the Targa Bambina New Zealand this past weekend. Some of you may remember when we raced our GT in Targa New Zealand a few years ago. Targa New Zealand is a 5 day tarmac rally where all types of cars are raced. There are multiple different classes for everything from All wheel drive rally cars, Nissan GT R purpose built Targa cars, two wheel drive touring cars, all the way to the classic divisions with old Peranas and even a little Fiat Abarth. The primary focus on a Targa is to go out and have a good time for a week. There is no prize money, simply a little plate for the winners. Steve has been competing in these events for over 10 years now and they are an absolute blast!

In 2006 and 2008 Steve campaigned the Ford GT before making the switch in 2009 to the Nissan GT R. The GT is an awesome car, and it puts on a great show. However, it will never win the Targa overall. The all wheel drive cars are just too quick and have too much of an advantage in these races. Nevertheless Steve decided that the GT would be his weapon of choice for the two day Bambina. And, since this was just for fun, and he wasn't planning on pushing too hard, he volunteered his wife Jodi to handle the navigating duties. Jodi has only ever ridden with steve one other time on an event which was in 2010 at the Spectre 341 hill climb in the GT R. This was her first time in the GT and she must have done a good job as she navigated Steve to a second in class, third in modern 2WD and 6th place overall. They also brought home the honors of highest placed husband and wife team.

Prior to the race Steve said he was just going to take it easy. If the brake fluid boiled, they'd call it a weekend. It was just a two day event with his wife navigating, an old friend crewing and his niece tagging along to help out as well. Steve really enjoys the GT and just wanted to have some fun for the weekend. I only have one picture so far but here is a picture of Steve Millen taking his GT for a "sunday drive."

View attachment 24157

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Agreed, post more pics when you have a chance (although the pic you posted is one of the coolest GT shots I've seen!!!).

Glad to hear Steve's still enjoying the GT. Great stuff.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
GREAT PHOTO! What do you guys do to keep the car from overheating

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California

Very cool picture and "cool" question!

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Kyle, nice to see the car out again. Love the airborne shot!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Thanks for sharing Kyle,, I say all the time the GT Flies !! ... and well .. there ya go !!.. :biggrin

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

I do not think they run a condensor coil.. If I recall the front screens are gone and they use about a 1/4" alum. wicker just ahead of the frond vents,, you can just make it out in this photo..

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Great stuff Kyle!

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
I do not think they run a condensor coil.. If I recall the front screens are gone and they use about a 1/4" alum. wicker just ahead of the frond vents,, you can just make it out in this photo..

Correct, we do not run the A/C condensor or the A/C pump. We just have a pulley that takes the place of the pump. Also, we do have little wicker blades directly behind the front vents which help pull the hot air out of the vents.

Another thing that helps is racing the car in New Zealand. They don't typically get the HOT days that we get up here. Plus, on the Targas the stages only range from about 5-10 minutes at a time. When I was in the car back in '08 we did have one stage where the car was starting to get pretty warm. It was a 23 minute stage and the last 3/4 of it was essentially a hill climb and it was a pretty warm day. We had to back off a bit. Even with backing off though we were able to pass 4 cars in the stage!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Correct, we do not run the A/C condensor or the A/C pump. We just have a pulley that takes the place of the pump. Also, we do have little wicker blades directly behind the front vents which help pull the hot air out of the vents.

Another thing that helps is racing the car in New Zealand. They don't typically get the HOT days that we get up here. Plus, on the Targas the stages only range from about 5-10 minutes at a time. When I was in the car back in '08 we did have one stage where the car was starting to get pretty warm. It was a 23 minute stage and the last 3/4 of it was essentially a hill climb and it was a pretty warm day. We had to back off a bit. Even with backing off though we were able to pass 4 cars in the stage!

I did mention the 1/4" wicker in my post above,, see it's in the quote ,,, :biggrin . The Nardo car had a similar set up.. looking forward to more photos !!

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Yea, sorry I was just agreeing with you.

Here is another picture in the New Zealand Herald...Little bit of opposite lock:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/...l_objectid=10792885&gallery_id=124574#8745093

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Yea, sorry I was just agreeing with you.

Here is another picture in the New Zealand Herald...Little bit of opposite lock:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/...l_objectid=10792885&gallery_id=124574#8745093

I was just joking,, :biggrin Are you guys going to run the GTR in the New Foundland race this year? There are a few guys here with GTR's and they really like them.

Last edited:

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
We don't have any plans on heading back to Targa New Foundland unfortunately. It was a cool part of the world, and good fun but the scoring system ruins it for us. Steve managed to set new stage records yet they told us we didn't meet our "goal time" for those stages. That rally is well suited for classic cars. Plus, as crazy as it sounds, it actually costs more to compete in Targa New Foundland than it does Targa New Zealand! Even including shipping cars and parts and crew and what not. We couldn't believe it when we did the final tally up.

We're trying really hard to get the GT R back in the country so we can rebuild it for Targa New Zealand 2012. Unfortunately, as the dates get closer the less likely it becomes that we'll have enough time to prepare the car. Last year we went down before the rally and installed new springs on our Penske's, larger 1000 CC fuel injectors, new tune, and a few other little parts two days before the rally. We showed up to tech inspection and saw that our competitors had built 4.2 liter stroker motors with big turbos and were pushing more than 800 horsepower when we were running around 650 or so. We showed up to a knife fight with a plastic spork. We really need to bring the car back and increase the horsepower considerably. I have a few other plans as well but I need to get the car back. Unfortunately the EPA is preventing us from bringing it back into the country. We're trying to figure out a way to get it in but they're making it insanely difficult. So, without the ability to prepare the car properly, we will probably be forced to miss this years Targa.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
We don't have any plans on heading back to Targa New Foundland unfortunately. It was a cool part of the world, and good fun but the scoring system ruins it for us. Steve managed to set new stage records yet they told us we didn't meet our "goal time" for those stages. That rally is well suited for classic cars. Plus, as crazy as it sounds, it actually costs more to compete in Targa New Foundland than it does Targa New Zealand! Even including shipping cars and parts and crew and what not. We couldn't believe it when we did the final tally up.

We're trying really hard to get the GT R back in the country so we can rebuild it for Targa New Zealand 2012. Unfortunately, as the dates get closer the less likely it becomes that we'll have enough time to prepare the car. Last year we went down before the rally and installed new springs on our Penske's, larger 1000 CC fuel injectors, new tune, and a few other little parts two days before the rally. We showed up to tech inspection and saw that our competitors had built 4.2 liter stroker motors with big turbos and were pushing more than 800 horsepower when we were running around 650 or so. We showed up to a knife fight with a plastic spork. We really need to bring the car back and increase the horsepower considerably. I have a few other plans as well but I need to get the car back. Unfortunately the EPA is preventing us from bringing it back into the country. We're trying to figure out a way to get it in but they're making it insanely difficult. So, without the ability to prepare the car properly, we will probably be forced to miss this years Targa.

Bummer.. : ( Just love that EPA ... Not !!!

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Hi Kyle, Glad Steve had fun at the Bambina. Cool photo too, cuss-word awesum! I want a photo like that, too chicken though. I did run my GT at the Leadfoot festival last week which was very fun, weather was rainy for part but still fun. We got to hang out with Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) he's a cool guy and a petrol head too!

Hey, maybe you could take the motor out of your GTR and ship it back for, as Shadowman would say, a massage and get around the EPA issue?
All the best, John

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
Hi John! I did see your name on the registration sheets for the Leadfoot Festival. My Uncle has set up quite the show there and I hope to make it down for that some day!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Cool! Let's see more exhaust flame photos! Keep on racin boys!

Ed