Sticker shock

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I went to the local Ford dealership this morning to buy/order a new battery for my 05 GT. The guy at the window
And I were both shocked the price was $643. I thanked him and went to Auto Zone where it was $239. Plus the Ford guy said he had no idea when it would get here. Auto Zone will have it tomorrow. Ridiculous.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I take it that Ford just isn't interested in hassling with a battery only fitting a few thousand cars.

I get it. I am more interested in them helping with parts that nobody else will ever supply.

Reactions: Sinovac and KJD

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I went to the local Ford dealership this morning to buy/order a new battery for my 05 GT. The guy at the window
And I were both shocked the price was $643. I thanked him and went to Auto Zone where it was $239. Plus the Ford guy said he had no idea when it would get here. Auto Zone will have it tomorrow. Ridiculous.
Last year I replaced the battery for my Pista….its a lithium ion with a special diagnostic connector. 7,300k. We complain about prices for GT parts but in the context of other supercars the GT maintenance is a bargain. Insofar as the GT battery circa 200 dollars and just change the label. You did right.

Reactions: white out

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Had the same experience here in Europe/Germany. Thought it would be a freight/conversation rate rippoff. Even the tech master couldn‘t recommend buying that.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Somebody here was even selling labels at one time.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
I got mine at oreilly's and then transferred the original sticker, cannot tell the difference! Funny my original optima lasted 12 years, my second just over one year, now on my third so far so good

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Oriley's has them too. About the same price as Autozone

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
AutoZone is just a little closer. OReilly didn't give a price on the net and ended up being $20 more. This is my third.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
643$ was a heavy markup.

It should have been in the 400-500 range. And yes the delivery time is a unknown, they call it a direct ship part. in other words its not sitting on the shelf of any of the Ford parts warehouses. So we know better to quote any prediction of when it shows up.

But like others have said at least we can find it easily and relatively inexpensive

Yes it's Ridiculous.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
I just saw a ticket for a Volt battery replacement. $26K! Fortunately, it is under warranty at 76k miles. I think the battery warranty is to 150K.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I checked the Tasca website. Battery is "not for sale."

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Guys, you don’t even need an Optima battery at $200+. The battery is a standard size, and any 12V battery that fits in the cradle and has the terminals in the right orientation will work. Then you can save your old battery for 30 more years to preserve “originality.” I don’t know about you, but I’ll be dead by then.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
1661552463838.png

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
^^^^^^ Reason number 856,924,862,961 why I have no interst in an electric car (yes probably an ignorant stance, but I dont care).....

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Good grief. How much did the car cost new???

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Good grief. How much did the car cost new???

I seem to recall $40k

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
^^^^^^ Reason number 856,924,862,961 why I have no interst in an electric car (yes probably an ignorant stance, but I dont care).....

How about 70% of batteries coming from the world’s worst player on trade, intellectual property, human rights and the environment?

Emphasis on environment.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I am with some of you guys above.
I hope to never need (or be forced ) to buy an electric vehicle. They have no soul.
Andy (ajb)

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
You have to think now that new ICE sales will be banned that next on the agenda is figuring out how to restrict used sales as well.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
You have to think now that new ICE sales will be banned that next on the agenda is figuring out how to restrict used sales as well.
I'm thinking that a lot of enterprising folks will open dealerships selling "used" cars...with 3 miles on the odometer! But seriously, there are about 287 million vehicles on the road with an average age of 12-13 years. They're not going away, though I can imagine that the auto manufacturers will be happy to sell us vehicles that are junked after 6 or 7 years. Much better business model for them.

Reactions: analogdesigner