starter won't turn at all - sizzling sound

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
I know that this has been discussed in other threads but my situation is a little different.

While installing Stainless Works headers I totally forgot to disconnect the battery. :confused Too excited to get them installed. So during the install the header touched the starter and SHAZAM!! Sparks flew. :eek :ack

Completed header install, installed short shifter and changed oil. Went to start car and nothing. Gauges power up. Fuel filter powers up. But no starter action at all. As I hold the starter button I hear a sizzling sound around the starter. :willy

Did I cook the starter?

Aug 25, 2006
I know that this has been discussed in other threads but my situation is a little different.

While installing Stainless Works headers I totally forgot to disconnect the battery. :confused Too excited to get them installed. So during the install the header touched the starter and SHAZAM!! Sparks flew. :eek :ack

Completed header install, installed short shifter and changed oil. Went to start car and nothing. Gauges power up. Fuel filter powers up. But no starter action at all. As I hold the starter button I hear a sizzling sound around the starter. :willy

Did I cook the starter?

Sadly; maybe

I would unplug the white connector on the starter and with your gal in neutral and the e-brake "fully" engaged use a jumper lead between the large post on the starter and the small spade connector within the area that the white plug was removed from; when the jumper lead is touched at both points the starter should spin the motor; if not then at the very least the solenoid is history.

Hang in there

Shadowman

Last edited:

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Sadly; maybe

I would unplug the white connector on the starter and with your gal in neutral and the e-brake "fully" engaged use a jumper lead between the large post on the starter and the small spade connector within the area that the white plug was removed from; when the jumper lead is touched at both points the starter should spin the motor; if not then at the very least the solenoid is history.

Hang in there

Shadowman

Sounds good my friend :thumbsup

Cheers
Jason

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I would unplug the white connector on the starter....

Good advice from Shadowman to test Starter/Solenoid. The fact that you can hear some "sizzling" would indicate (unfortunately) that a fuse didn't go :bored

This white plastic connector also needs to be shielded from the heat of the headers. Keep an eye on it after you get the starter fixed as you may consider to add some kind of heat shield to protect it. I've seen a couple of completely melted connectors due to aftermarket exhausts - though I am not directly familiar with the set-up that you have.

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Good advice from Shadowman to test Starter/Solenoid. The fact that you can hear some "sizzling" would indicate (unfortunately) that a fuse didn't go :bored

This white plastic connector also needs to be shielded from the heat of the headers. Keep an eye on it after you get the starter fixed as you may consider to add some kind of heat shield to protect it. I've seen a couple of completely melted connectors due to aftermarket exhausts - though I am not directly familiar with the set-up that you have.

Very good advice to shield the white plastic connector. :thumbsup

So is it possible that a fuse went?

p.s. I love the products I purchased from you :cheers

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
It's fixed! :banana

Turned out to be the starter relay fuse.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

'jay, where is that fuse found?

Aug 25, 2006

Thank you for the shared results; it would appear that you dodged a bullet as such I am very happy for you.

I appreciate you taking the time to bring shared closure to this issue as all too often there is not a shared resolve and thread simply lingers on.

FYI; typically I wrap the solenoid with a piece of Mylar to reflect the heat away from the associated wiring at the starter; I know this was not the issue in this case and yet as mentioned by another it is a good idea.

Takes care

Shadowman

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
'jay, where is that fuse found?

Fuse is located in the fuse block that is below the front luggage compartment under the hood.

I can't take credit for finding the problem. A Ford Tech came to my house and found the problem. He swapped out the fog light fuse with the starter relay fuse (apparently same fuse). And sure enough the car fired right up.

spddmnjay

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 14, 2008
Alberta, Canada
Thank you for the shared results; it would appear that you dodged a bullet as such I am very happy for you.

I appreciate you taking the time to bring shared closure to this issue as all too often there is not a shared resolve and thread simply lingers on.

FYI; typically I wrap the solenoid with a piece of Mylar to reflect the heat away from the associated wiring at the starter; I know this was not the issue in this case and yet as mentioned by another it is a good idea.

Takes care

Shadowman

Dodged a big bullet. :thumbsup

I will definitely wrap the starter to protect it from heat. Thanks guys for this tip. :cheers