Standing Mile

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
Has anyone run a NFGT in a standing mile event yet? My wife is registered in our 2020 for this March. just curious on speeds. I'm guessing 185 - 190 depending on weather.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
Thank you. That gives us a good idea on what to expect

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Also FlagstaffGT has taken his NGT to the Mojave Mile. There is a report somewhere here on the Forum.

Ed

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Don’t know why the NGT isn’t faster. You’d think with its low-drag and 647hp it would run well into 190. My 06 when it was bone stock ran 180 at the Texas Mile. I’ve noticed the same with the NGT at COTA - no faster down the back straight than my old 12C

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Don’t know why the NGT isn’t faster. You’d think with its low-drag and 647hp it would run well into 190. My 06 when it was bone stock ran 180 at the Texas Mile. I’ve noticed the same with the NGT at COTA - no faster down the back straight than my old 12C

Drag v. downforce

Reactions: JWZ and sahlman

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Drag v. downforce
Sinovac is right...the NFGT has a lot more downforce stock than the '05 - '06 and that also means it has a lot more drag unless it is a lot more efficient (lift / drag ratio). Which I don't think is possible.

Reactions: Ed Sims and JWZ

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Has anyone run the standing mile in a bone stock new GT500?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The '05-06 GT is close to aero neutral while the NGT has much more downforce (even in Velocity mode). The '05-06 became an amazing top speed car because of the lack of aero & engine with lots of modification potential. That combo has made for a 300 mph+ street car. No other car can do that in a mile.

Ed

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Ed, while a lot less than the NFGT, the '05 - '06 FGT has 500 lb of downforce at 180 mph (between 60-70% of that on the rear tires). That goes up with speed squared (so 617 pounds at 200 mph). If you get to watch the '05 in the 180 mph region plus it shoves the car down almost to the bump stops if everything is stock. It was pretty cool to watch the car suck down and drive it that speed at Ford's Michigan Proving Grounds (MPG) 5 mile oval...5 laps of full throttle until empty. You could see the pressure wave off the front of the car. So damn cool.

So not huge, but definitely not "neutral". But yes surely a lot less than the NFGT.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Ed, while a lot less than the NFGT, the '05 - '06 FGT has 500 lb of downforce at 180 mph (between 60-70% of that on the rear tires). That goes up with speed squared (so 617 pounds at 200 mph). If you get to watch the '05 in the 180 mph region plus it shoves the car down almost to the bump stops if everything is stock. It was pretty cool to watch the car suck down and drive it that speed at Ford's Michigan Proving Grounds (MPG) 5 mile oval...5 laps of full throttle until empty. You could see the pressure wave off the front of the car. So damn cool.

So not huge, but definitely not "neutral". But yes surely a lot less than the NFGT.
got any pictures?

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Sorry Buddy, I wish I did have pictures of these runs. McGowan may from my runs or Walsh's. But I don't think so.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The downforce is very obvious when watching the GT's in the mile venues. They are VERY hunkered down and there's no perceptible height change as the driver transitions off the throttle at the end marker. Solid, confident, impressive.

Reactions: sahlman