Stabil vs Sea Foam vs nothing

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I put Stabil in all the carburated vehicles.
No issue.
I know some people don't like Stabil. OK
What are people putting in their GT's if the vehicle will sit for a few winter months.
It will get started up at least once every 3-4 weeks.
It will get up to temp.
Thnx

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I've used Stabil without problems. What are the known issues?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Stabil worked for me for 6 NYC winters

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I have used both in cars, motorcycles, lawn equipment and diesel motor home. Never had a issue with either but also don't know it they are doing any good.:confused

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I use Stabil in my last remaining gasoline powered unit - my snow blower - every spring when I pack it up for the season. One year I missed it and the carb got all gummed up and needed some serious cleaning. This season (which was only two weeks ago) after I took the GT out for the last time this winter and swapped the car to the front and the snow blower to the back it started on the second pull.

I have a string trimmer, small tiller, leaf blower and chain saw but they all use 2 cycle oil/gas and I never worry about "winterizing" them.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I use Seafoam for most everything. It did a fabulous job in cleaning up a fuel system in a vehicle. But you should get 2 new fuel filters and change one after a few hours of using Seafoam, cause it will loosen up lots of gunk and clog the existing filter real quick. Put in the absolute maximum dose by the instructions (or more) and change the filter after say 3 hours of running, then keep dosing with Seafoam and be prepared to change the filter again when it acts like the thing is not running well - it will be a clogged filter. Today's gas is crap and deposits lots of junk everywhere. After that, drop back to the maintenance level for winter or low usage, etc. Change fuel filter annually. Pretty good stuff.

edit: I just read twobjshelbys post (gotta wonder about that name - ha) Stabil is probably good too, just dose heavy at first then change the filter as there is lots of junk in systems that will loosen up in systems that have not been cleaned in a while - and if it's weed eaters or chainsaws we're talking about, DO NOT use ethanol gas if you are storing for the winter, it swells gaskets and o-rings. You might get away with it in the summer, but..... Find a place that sells 100% gas -no ethanol. That's what Ford is worrying about in the GT manual.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
edit: I just read twobjshelbys post (gotta wonder about that name - ha)

It's a long story but twobjshelbys = Two Barrett Jackson Shelby(GT)s.

In 2008 I bought two Barrett Jackson Limited Edition Shelby GTs. I almost bought a Ford GT but there was some personal business involved in getting 2 x 1/2 price cars :)

Both were convertibles, sequential VIN numbers, one with an automatic and one with a 5 speed.

DSC_0135.JPG

We donated one of them - the 5-speed with about 300 miles, almost all of them driving from Vegas to Phoenix - after having it converted to a GT/SC with a Kenne Bell supercharger - at the Barrett Jackson Scottsdale auction with full proceeds to the Shelby Foundation. It was all about a family thing.

At that auction I bought a Shelby CSX Cobra. Loved it, wife hated it.

I kept the automatic and we put close to 8000 miles on it before I sold it - I do drive my cars. It was sold privately to a guy in Florida who sold it at the Barrett Jackson Florida auction last winter. He did some very tasteful mods and got a dang good price for it.

I bought the GT, after I sold the Cobra, in Oct 2011. The boss will at least ride in the GT :).

She did tell me that she wished we'd kept the Mustang. It was a hoot to drive (with 500+ HP, more than a GT500 of the same year, and lighter and with a better suspension) and quite comfortable on long trips, the difference over the GT being it had a real trunk with a place to put a suitcase :)

PS. It wasn't the Barrett Jackson tag that got me interested, it was the black with red stripes color combo. I loved it. Ford did the GT500 in that color scheme the next year, and if I'd known, I probably would have waited (and blown the family deal) and I wouldn't have a GT - it was all about butterflies flapping their wings :)

Last edited:

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Stabil in everything from FordGT to Harley's to Lawn tractors. I Use a product called Cetane in the Case New Holland Diesel.
Never had a starting issue in many many years..

ajb (andy)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Stabil in everything from FordGT to Harley's to Lawn tractors. I Use a product called Cetane in the Case New Holland Diesel.
Never had a starting issue in many many years..

ajb (andy)

I used Cetane in my diesel Benz in the 70's. It keeps the diesel from turning into Jello when it's cold. I also used about 20% kerosene (when available) or about 1 gallon of regular gas. Diesel doesn't do that any more.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I've used Stabil without problems. What are the known issues?

I am not sure but have had people tell me it doesn't work.
But I've used it plenty.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Thanks for all the responses fellas.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
It's a long story but twobjshelbys = Two Barrett Jackson Shelby(GT)s.

In 2008 I bought two Barrett Jackson Limited Edition Shelby GTs. I almost bought a Ford GT but there was some personal business involved in getting 2 x 1/2 price cars :)

Both were convertibles, sequential VIN numbers, one with an automatic and one with a 5 speed.

View attachment 27397

We donated one of them - the 5-speed with about 300 miles, almost all of them driving from Vegas to Phoenix - after having it converted to a GT/SC with a Kenne Bell supercharger - at the Barrett Jackson Scottsdale auction with full proceeds to the Shelby Foundation. It was all about a family thing.

At that auction I bought a Shelby CSX Cobra. Loved it, wife hated it.

I kept the automatic and we put close to 8000 miles on it before I sold it - I do drive my cars. It was sold privately to a guy in Florida who sold it at the Barrett Jackson Florida auction last winter. He did some very tasteful mods and got a dang good price for it.

I bought the GT, after I sold the Cobra, in Oct 2011. The boss will at least ride in the GT :).

She did tell me that she wished we'd kept the Mustang. It was a hoot to drive (with 500+ HP, more than a GT500 of the same year, and lighter and with a better suspension) and quite comfortable on long trips, the difference over the GT being it had a real trunk with a place to put a suitcase :)

PS. It wasn't the Barrett Jackson tag that got me interested, it was the black with red stripes color combo. I loved it. Ford did the GT500 in that color scheme the next year, and if I'd known, I probably would have waited (and blown the family deal) and I wouldn't have a GT - it was all about butterflies flapping their wings :)

A couple of nice looking cars. But that blew my theory of the bj.