Squeeky Shifter

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I know this sounds like a simple problem to fix but it hasn't been so far.

The details:

1) New (about 3 months old) Ford Short Throw shifter.
2) The problem started about 2 weeks ago when shifting from 1st to 2nd or vice/versa - noisy squeaking sound (extremely irritating)
3) I lifted the shift boot and sprayed a little WD40
- problems solved for about two days
4) Tried a heavier weight oil in small quantities
- problem solved for about a week

There must be a bushing or something that has moved. Anyone else have problems with the Short throw shifter?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
When they put in the shifter, did they use the rubber bushings or the metal ones? The GTGuys only use the metal. I think rubber would have a tendency to squek. Spirit may be the answer though, since he had his done over right after install.

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Fubar, haven't heard anything yet, but have only driven the car for about 100 miles, since the installation of the short shifter this past winter. If my memory is correct (which happens only sometimes) there was some kind of grease that was part of the kit. Did you use any on the joints?

John

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I've had the same issue with the short throw shifter using the steel bushings and a copious amount of lube (supplied with the shifter). I feel one or more retaining bolts may have loosened thus causing the squeeking sound. I need to R&R the console to confirm my theory.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Squeaky Shifter

Had the same thing on mine.

Just great for first 1,500 miles - then the 1-2 became "sqeaky" and much "harder" to shift into. With the metal bushings.

Darn near converted back to standard softer busings. My right hand and shoulder were quite sore from the push-pull effort required.

Over the next 1,500 miles all the effort to shift just gradually went away. Thankfully so did the discomfort in my hand and shoulder

I thought it odd, and still do, that it took 3,000 miles to break-in the short throw shiftrer. Since the "break-in period", another 15,000 miles of "effortless" short throw shifting.

Just love it!

BTW I also have Jay's "lowered" shift ball. Love it too!

Fubar - just another reason/excuse for driving your GT more. :thumbsup

Also becareful with the WD 40. It is petro based and can cause "rubber" things to deteriorate and migrates quickly. The short thrown shifter kit comes with a tube of lube, as I remember.

I tend to stick with lithium or silicon based grease. They more or less stay where you put them.