Spinning HVAC fan knob.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Fan control knob doesn't have a stop or max position. I can spin it forever in either direction. The fan still works properly. Can someone tell me what is wrong? Does access require console removal?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Yes it requires console removal to access. I have seen this before. Was a failure inside the AC control unit. Had to replace control unit

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
There is a very small hex set screw that you cannot reach without removing the console and disassembling the control unit.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Gary, let me know if you need a hand. This is the piece you need to get to:

DSC_1340.jpg

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
They do have set screws on the knobs, hopefully that's the issue as its an easy fix

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Gary, let me know if you need a hand. This is the piece you need to get to:

View attachment 32974

P.S. If you spill a diet coke on the console the knobs get sticky to the circuit board. Don't ask how I know. All I can say is "some disassembly required" :)

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^China Syndrome

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
There is a very small hex set screw that you cannot reach without removing the console and disassembling the control unit.

Xcentric, I had to do this to mine years ago and haven't had a problem since I tightened the set screw. Hardest part is removing the console.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Thanks to all. I have a McIntosh relocate kit in the garage, so the console will be out for that project.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Thanks to all. I have a McIntosh relocate kit in the garage, so the console will be out for that project.

also the perfect time to upgrade to the short shifter, if you haven't done it already and can find one

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Someone would have to let me drive their short shifter car before I would consider that mod. :wink

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
To close out this thread, in my case a simple tightening of the set screw fixed it. Of course, accessing the set screw is not simple, because the console has to be removed to remove the HVAC module to tighten the set screw.

OTOH, if the HVAC module was bad, you're looking at a $700+ part in 2015.

Experienced hands fixing my GT's spinning fan knob.

5D3_9364.jpg