Speedometer Not working (still)

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
I put in the new speedometer today and I still have the same problem. No matter how fast I drive it does not go above 25 MPH.
!. The battery is always on tender. When disconnected it reads 13.2 volts.
2. I cleaned the paint off the ground attachment.
3 All of the other gauges work includong the odometer and trip odometer.
4. I replaced the OSS (Output Speed Sensor) on the transmission.
5 I am the original owner. 3075 miles with no problems. Warranty expired last December (08).
Any ideas? I drove it 30 miles after I put in the new speedometer at different speeds but it never got above 25 MPH.
Any and all helpwould be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob Ford

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I put in the new speedometer today and I still have the same problem. No matter how fast I drive it does not go above 25 MPH.
!. The battery is always on tender. When disconnected it reads 13.2 volts.
2. I cleaned the paint off the ground attachment.
3 All of the other gauges work includong the odometer and trip odometer.
4. I replaced the OSS (Output Speed Sensor) on the transmission.
5 I am the original owner. 3075 miles with no problems. Warranty expired last December (08).
Any ideas? I drove it 30 miles after I put in the new speedometer at different speeds but it never got above 25 MPH.
Any and all helpwould be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob Ford

I'm mentioning this ONLY BECAUSE I've had it happen 2-3 times in my life: try replacing the 'sensor with another new one. The new one you put in may be bad from the factory. (I don't know if there's a way to check 'em otherwise.)

But, before doing that, check the length of the sensor WIRE as far as you can & see if it somehow got cut, pinched or worn thru somewhere (including where it attaches to the sensor).

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Two test come to mind, but both require some special test equipment.

1. You can test the OSS sensor by connecting it's wires to an oscilloscope. An AC coupled output should be a signal which both amplitude and frequency should rise with speed. Voltages should be between 0-3V.

2. A Ford dealer has CAN Bus test equipment that can do a test sweep on the gauges to confirm that they are moving the needles correctly.

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
Speedometer not working (still)

Do the speedometer and odometer both receive signal from the speed sensor on the side of the transmission? If so, Why would the odometer work and not the speedometer. When you had the bad sensors did the speedometer not work while the odometer did?
Thanks, Bob

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Do the speedometer and odometer both receive signal from the speed sensor on the side of the transmission? If so, Why would the odometer work and not the speedometer. When you had the bad sensors did the speedometer not work while the odometer did?
Thanks, Bob

I really don't recall, Bob.

Edit: In fact, I don't even remember CHECKING the odometer. 'Don't believe I did.:eek:ld:

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The OSS signal goes to the ECU that converts it into a CANBUS message that is sent the the gauge cluster. CANBUS is a LAN standard used for autos among other things.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
A dealer can hook a pc up, set speedo to any speed and see if it works properly. It may be a gauge module problem among other things.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
There is a black box under the driver side dash/kick panel that controls all the gauges. This may be your problem

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Empty's an expert on non moving speedometers. :lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
EP is also an expert on flat spotted tires!

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
My speedo quit all together after my battery went totally dead, but mine didn't work at all after I replaced the battery.

I remember on another occasion I had to jump start my GT and the speedo didn't work at all. I called my dealer, I remember him saying that some instruments could take a power off and on to work properly. After I drove for a while to charge the battery, I powered off and on and it worked. It's a long shot, but you might try to disconnect the battery cable for several minutes and then hook it back up. I doubt it will work, but it might. If not I have a big hammer, and a bigger hammer, you could try.;-)

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
Not ready for the hammer deal. I love my car too much. However I am somewhat frustrated but I'll try the power off idea

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Empty's an expert on non moving speedometers. :lol

EP is also an expert on flat spotted tires!

May the lice of 10,000 camels grow and fester in your armpits. :mad:slap:tongue

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
There is a black box under the driver side dash/kick panel that controls all the gauges. This may be your problem

I had to replace three guages. Two were under warranty. The third one they told me it was the control module. $5K....I fought with them and they "ate" half the cost...no other guage issues since replacement.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
In fact, I don't even remember CHECKING the odometer.

ep had the od reading memorized

--as it never moved!:rofl

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
In fact, I don't even remember CHECKING the odometer.

ep had the od reading memorized

--as it never moved!:rofl

May the same lice visit YOU! :tap:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
May the same lice visit YOU! :tap:

Right back at ya Gramps:chill:

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
I finally got a new speedometer from my selling dealer ant a VERY VERY fair price. I hope to install it this weekend and also hope this fixes the problem.(see my posts in tech topics). Does anyone know anything about Pollack? I guess they are the manufacturer because there is both a Ford p/n and a Pollak p/n on theFord label. I tried Google with no luck. I'd like to see if I can get the old one repaired.
Thanks,
Bob Ford

Aug 25, 2006
I finally got a new speedometer from my selling dealer ant a VERY VERY fair price. I hope to install it this weekend and also hope this fixes the problem.(see my posts in tech topics). Does anyone know anything about Pollack? I guess they are the manufacturer because there is both a Ford p/n and a Pollak p/n on theFord label. I tried Google with no luck. I'd like to see if I can get the old one repaired.
Thanks,
Bob Ford

Hi Bob

I suspect that Hollywood Speedometer can repair it

PM me and I can share the information; the fellow that I deal with is Kevin

Takes care

Shadowman

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Hi Bob

I suspect that Hollywood Speedometer can repair it