Speedhut gauge questions

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I finally got my local tuner/fabricator to build me a better air intake setup to properly feed my 4.0 Whipple. When he was tuning it, he noticed that the Speedhut tach reads about 300 rpm higher than it should. He set the idle at about 700-750, and the tach reads about 1000 rpm. You can tell just by ear that the tach is off, although I never noticed it before. I had the GT Guys install a full set of Speedhuts before Rally X last year. Anybody else have this issue? Do the Speedhut gauges have provisions for adjustment?

Issue two: boost gauge. This is not a Speedhut issue, but rather an incompatibility with aftermarket blowers and the factory boost gauge accuracy, due to the way the factory setup derives boost signal electronically. Has anybody come up with a good solution for an accurate boost readout in the factory location, short of seeing if Speedhut can make a manual boost gauge (not an electronic one), that reads out to 30 lbs or so?

FRC

GT Owner
Aug 20, 2014
KY
I can't comment on the tach issue as I haven't experienced it but I did have Speedhut make me a manual 30lb boost gauge.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
My Speedhut tach seems to be accurate. I love the Speedhut gauges.

Ed

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If I recall my bluetooth OBDII sensor has a tach display. It matched the factory tach. My point is that for $20 you can verify it.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Thanks for the input, guys. I love my Speedhut gauges too, these issues aside. Tony, the inaccuracy of the tach is already verified. If it were only off 50-100 rpm, I wouldn't be too concerned (even though many would find that unacceptable, too).

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
If there is no user calibration, they owe you a new gauge.

Although, as Tony says, there are lots of instruments that read the OBDII.

I use a ScanGauge and it matches the OEM gauges for all the readings reported to OBDII.

1,000 rpm idle doesn't need a gauge to detect.

Last edited:
speedhut instruments

My Speedhut tach seems to be accurate. I love the Speedhut gauges.

Ed

I can only confirme Ed's opinion.
When my OEM-rev-counter, watertemp.-gage and finally the fuel gauge failed, Mr. David Jones from GT101 company in United Kingdom recommended to me that speedhutdasboard, it let these guys install it, never anymore any malfunction as in the 4th and 5th year i had my car. my car, i had it since oct.17th in 2005, so it's over 11 years now, i never ever regretted to change to speed hut.

sincerely with "fordistic" greetings

Felix:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Follow up:

With the help of Rich (GT Guy), Speedhut sent me a replacement tach. I followed the instructions of some excellent how-to threads on the forum here, and replaced the gauge, and all is well. During the process, I found that it was easy to adjust the existing gauge face and "zero it out", with the key on. Seems likely that the face spun around slightly when the previous gauge bezel was screwed on. Had I known that, I wouldn't have needed a replacement tach. The tach works fine, just wasn't calibrated at zero. So, I guess I have an extra now. Anyway, thanks for the help, folks.