Sparco/Silver Grommets

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Does anybody know how to get the Sparco seats with the silver grommets other than through Gennadi?

...in addition. Does anybody know why the production vehicle didn't include them?

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
Those grommets look real nice too.

Somebody once inquired about buying just the grommets and where denied. Maybe the situation has changed.

If you do buy them do so COD:wink

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Those grommets look real nice too.

Somebody once inquired about buying just the grommets and where denied. Maybe the situation has changed.

If you do buy them do so COD:wink

COD offers some protection, but what if the seat never comes back?

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
COD offers some protection, but what if the seat never comes back?

Try to get them back on EBAY?:biggrin

gtx1

GTX1 Owner
Apr 5, 2006
Silver grommets

The original prototypes had them, I'm sure Kip can advise

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
FYI ...the Genaddi gromets are not physically different that ours. They are not metal or anything special.

After looking closely at them in a couple cars it appears they are our gromets, painted silver. And re-installed.

A couple pics we see of the prototypes apear to show a genuine metal gromet or cover. There is not visible salt shaker bottom in those pics.

I suspect they were not done for cost reasons or the fact that they will get very hot and could burn your back, thighs. Not real comfortable in hot weather. But look very stylish.

I contemplated this upgrade, but when messing around with the idea and some vinyl mock up, it seamed a little busy to me. Not so much from the inside, but looking from the outside. It took the eye away from the shape of the car to me. On the GTX 1 with no roof, it tends to have a different, better effect IMO. I would not be opposed to a test fitting to evaluate in real life though.

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
Kingman, you do know that they are the stock seats only the grommets are silver, right?

I'll try and take some up close pics tomorrow and post.

Last edited:
H

HHGT

I have been getting a lot of powder coating done lately and the shop that does my stuff told me they are beginning to powder coat plastic and wood. I'll ask him and let you guys know.

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
FYI ...the Genaddi gromets are not physically different that ours. They are not metal or anything special.

I suspect they were not done for cost reasons or the fact that they will get very hot and could burn your back, thighs. Not real comfortable in hot weather. But look very stylish.

I live in super hot weather year around (tropical) and nothing burns your back on them so that reason can be discarded.

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
^ U da man(person?)

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
The original ones were an alloy metal, but they didnt stick to the seat very well. after constant getting in and out they pulled away from the seat.They were tried with clips, sew in ect, didnt hold up to the durability test.Yes the gennadi ones are ,looks to me silver coated paint, seen them at rally 1, looks great but who knows that status now? ENJOY GTJOEY 1314:thumbsup

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Do you own a GTX1 (or GT) dinoraja?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I have been getting a lot of powder coating done lately and the shop that does my stuff told me they are beginning to powder coat plastic and wood. I'll ask him and let you guys know.

Hi Sam,

Did you find out any info?

I love the look of the silver grommets.

But I'm going to patent the idea of Carbon Fiber grommets. :wink

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Assuming they are the std grommets just painted silver, has anyone taken a seat apart? I'd be interested in doing mine but haven't looked into how to take the seat apart yet. I also wonder if the stock grommets can be removed from the seat or if they would be destroyed trying to remove them..
If they are glued it might damage them to removed them.

Anyway, hopefully when someone takes their seat apart they will be good enough to take pictures for the rest of the DIY'ers... hint hint

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Assuming they are the std grommets just painted silver, has anyone taken a seat apart? I'd be interested in doing mine but haven't looked into how to take the seat apart yet. I also wonder if the stock grommets can be removed from the seat or if they would be destroyed trying to remove them..
If they are glued it might damage them to removed them.

Anyway, hopefully when someone takes their seat apart they will be good enough to take pictures for the rest of the DIY'ers... hint hint

According to Steve at Knight auto works that did the seats for the GTX1 the grommets get destroyed during the process of taking the seat apart. Sparko uses a melting process when putting the grommets together. The replacement grommets are a hard plastic and the original ones are a much softer plastic. This is how I understand it from talking to Steve a couple of weeks ago.

H

HHGT

Hi Sam,

Did you find out any info?

I love the look of the silver grommets.

But I'm going to patent the idea of Carbon Fiber grommets. :wink

Hey Randy, I talked with Ron and he asked me to bring one in and he'll test it. He did caution that it should be considered a throw away in case it goes south.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Hey Randy, I talked with Ron and he asked me to bring one in and he'll test it. He did caution that it should be considered a throw away in case it goes south.

Does that mean you are going to be missing a grommet if it goes south?

It would be cool if an insert could be made that we could just pop in over existing. But I have never even taken a close look at the existing grommets.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
seat grommets

I bet if they are black plastic painted silver then the silver will eventually wear. It would be cool to replace the plastic with aluminum grommets.

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I bet if they are black plastic painted silver then the silver will eventually wear. It would be cool to replace the plastic with aluminum grommets.

Ed

Unless you are wearing shorts and are getting into the car after it has been parked in the hot sun.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
burns

Black Ice - Your thighs will match the header burns on your knuckles then!

Ed