Source for 2005 GT polycarbonate windshield?

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
Does anyone know a source for polycarbonate windshields for the 2005 GT?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I can do them in quantities of 10.. I have the tooling to do them. It's 750 a window, they are hard coated also.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
In no way trying to steal from a member here, you could try Optic Armor as well.
Best,
Mark

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
In no way trying to steal from a member here, you could try Optic Armor as well.
Best,
Mark

That's who will be producing them. I have a close working relationship with them and we co make a product together already. So these will be the best of the best and shaded around the edges also.

Reactions: jammer

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Changed my windshield last winter. Maybe next time need to go poly. US Plastics has a good video comparison glass vs acrylic vs poly. Poly is 250 times stronger than glass.
So.....a couple questions:
Why use poly? I assume strengh.
Why aren't OEM poly?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Dont they scratch easily, (relative to glass)?

Would not be surprised if they are not recognized federally, or have issues in crash testing (air bag containment maybe?). Im guessing.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
It's not the old days of our drag cars with "lexan" windows that scrathed if you breathed on them.
Optic Armors coating is very strong.
Testing the rear glass on my Vette as we speak.
Mark

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Dont they scratch easily, (relative to glass)?

Would not be surprised if they are not recognized federally, or have issues in crash testing (air bag containment maybe?). Im guessing.

They have a great hard coat on the poly carbonate, that is pretty scratch resistant. Their main market is race car stuff. Here are the windows we just made together for Mustang race cars. These look as oem as they come but they are a fiberglass and carbon fiber construction for the outer frame area while keeping the oem outer frame rubber look. There are 3 different tints. clear, 40% and 20%. The window portion is screen printed so to say with a special blk liquid material to give it that oem look and keep bond with the windshield urethane. They even have the little dots where it goes from the all black area to the inner window area where you can see through it.

Attachments

• Optic Armor hatch windows.jpg
    Optic Armor hatch windows.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 13

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I imagine the tinted versions would be difficult to see out of at night?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
We have a couple Foxbodies, I knew EXACTLY what they were (ha ha).

I would expect, not as scratch resistant as glass. Obviously, the key advantage is weight, for any racing application.

Again I would not be surprised if there is a DOT regulation not allowing their use in an OEM windshield. Heck there is a regulation that brake fluid has the be clear / amber (that's why ATE "Super Blue" went away)

They have a great hard coat on the poly carbonate, that is pretty scratch resistant.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I imagine the tinted versions would be difficult to see out of at night?

Tinted are more for side and rear windows. drag racing guys don't care cause they only look forward.