So What Other Cars Did You Consider?

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I drove 3 cars back-to-back on Saturday....Started with an LP-640 Murcielago Roadster, top off, sunny Houston day. Car was amazing. Its a hammer, no matter what tool you need....endless power is its only response.

Then drove the Mac Davis blue stripeless GT. Maybe it was the color (for example yellow would be my first choice), maybe I was too scared of the tail happy reputation to push it hard, maybe it was the closed roof, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

Followed that up with a Scuderia. Car is very loud, but with the light weight was incredibly nimble and responsive.

So now, I'm all messed up. I came into this wanting to buy a GT. I should buy the GT. I'm depreciation sensitive and want a reliable low maintenance car.

The Murci is too expensive ($400k sticker, the ask is $215k with 6k miles), and too maintenance needy. But like the girl that is so wrong for you, you still want her anyway.

The Scud is the oddball. Not sure it makes sense at all as a street car, but IS what a Ferrari should be.

So what did you guys consider, and how did you base your decision?

Thanks

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The Murci is too expensive ($400k sticker, the ask is $215k with 6k miles),
:eek Ouch!

The Lambo and Scuderia look dated now. Imagine in 5 more years.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I based my decision to a great degree on what was happening in the racing world when I was 15 years old. I think you will hear similar things from every GT owner (or wannabe owner) who was a teen in the 60s, loved cars, and especially, came from a Ford family. Add to that emotional mixture a reincarnation in the form of the most incredible (in every way) car ever produced in these United States, and there were no other considerations. If you don't feel it, the GT may not be for you.

I must respectfully disagree with "...the tail happy reputation..."

You are in a difficult position if depreciation sensitivity, reliability, and low maintenance are important to you. For most late model exotics, you have several mutually exclusive things going on there.

Last edited:

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
For me there was no decision to make. It was always the GT. Good luck in finding what you are searching for.

Vince H

Last edited:

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I must respectfully disagree with "...the tail happy reputation..."

Well, what I keep hearing is a full 25% of GTs have been wrecked/damaged. Seems like there is one guy out there who rebuilds GTs as a full-time business.

So I surmised from that is I needed to be careful....I break it, I buy it.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ You want a sobering experience? Browse through wreckedexotics.com. Story after story of exotics (of all types) wrecked by valets, detailers, mechanics, asshats, and yes, owners. One owner wrecked his GT on his first drive 1 1/2 miles from his home. Then he bought another, and to my knowledge, has not wrecked it.

The GT is a great handling car. You don't have any traction controls, so you learn how to drive it and respect 550+ hp and mountains of instantaneous torque. It is not "tail happy." 0.98g lateral grip on a skidpad. You can, if you desire, get power oversteer at will.

...any more than 458s are tail happy. I saw this 458 at a local Cars & Coffee a couple of months ago. Saw him leaving like an asshat. A few minutes later:
http://jalopnik.com/5945517/this-ferrari-458-was-obliterated-after-a-crash-in-virginia.

Last edited:

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Well, what I keep hearing is a full 25% of GTs have been wrecked/damaged. Seems like there is one guy out there who rebuilds GTs as a full-time business.

So I surmised from that is I needed to be careful....I break it, I buy it.

Having my car less than 2 years I have been careful and no problems to date on the street. After reading all the potential pitfalls and how these cars react the driver needs to know what your limits are. I do know from riding at Rally Vll with an extremely capable drive Andy, Specracer, these cars are amazing on the racetrack.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You will find all mid-engine cars a lillte tail happy as opposed to front engine. Traction nannies help but there are plenty of vidoes showing mid-engine Lambos and F cars wrecked. When the GT came out, the masses were exposed to the huge power and just didn't understand mid-engine dynamics. I've spun mine several times, but only once on the street when I first got it. Don't punch it with the wheel turned until you learn about cold tires and power oversteer.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Don't punch it with the wheel turned until you learn about cold tires and power oversteer.

Absolutely the key and probably the cause of most wrecked Ford GTs. If you've ever driven a Cobra you're already familiar with the effect. In the Cobra the short wheelbase and light rear end are the typical cause.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
So what did you guys consider, and how did you base your decision?

Thanks

Back in '05, I was considering the Gallardo, the F-360 (the 430 didn't exist then), and the FGT. I researched the performance figures on all three and, based on that alone, rapidly discovered there was really only ONE logical choice! 'Twas then I saw the commercial "The One"...and saw the GT being DIRT TRACKED at high speed - ON ASPHALT - around a corner at Thunderhill! THAT was all she wrote!

Admittedly, I was also thinking - wrongly as it turned out - that I could simply take a FGT into my local Ford dealer to have 'issues' addressed as opposed to having to drive all the way to SEATTLE for that...as would be the case with the Italian cars.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Never considered any other car. This was my must have.

NJF

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Ditto to Xcentric's first response. Sums up my feelings exactly.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I may have pussed out then after abusing the Murci. Yes, the car was dead cold probably on the original rubber so maybe I did the right thing considering my feeble skills.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Shark
You won't get anyone here recommending anything other than the GT.
Now, once you own a GT, then the question comes up...what other car might I want?
Still trying to get some direct communication from Mac Davis for you.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Always wanted a Ford GT since I was a kid in the 60s - never thought I would get the chance.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
'Twas then I saw the commercial "The One"...and saw the GT being DIRT TRACKED at high speed - ON ASPHALT - around a corner at Thunderhill! THAT was all she wrote!

In case you haven't seen "The One," this should settle your dilemma, Shark. http://fordgt.eesc.com/fordgt/media_popup.asp?media=CURRENT_VIDEO&id=4

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Shark
You won't get anyone here recommending anything other than the GT.
Now, once you own a GT, then the question comes up...what other car might I want?
Still trying to get some direct communication from Mac Davis for you.

Thanks, its true everyone spoke with their wallet, just wondering if anyone else was looking at the same choices I am.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Always wanted a Ford GT since I was a kid in the 60s - never thought I would get the chance.

Similar for me, tho 20 years later.

I remember when the Prototype was wheeled out for the press in 02', 03'................I must have that car!

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
In case you haven't seen "The One," this should settle your dilemma, Shark. http://fordgt.eesc.com/fordgt/media_popup.asp?media=CURRENT_VIDEO&id=4

It didn't help....bad link. I have seen the commercial previously......very cool

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

And keep in mind that the pilot of the chopper that was used to film this ad said the FGT was the ONLY car that had ever OUTRUN HIS CHOPPER when filming!

Edit: This link to "The One" should work:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...03D7C2633F48DD99641203D7C2&first=0&FORM=LKVR1

Last edited: