Smaller blower pulley

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Hi guys, can anyone tell me the thickness of the spacer shims behind the power steering pump, when keeping the same length belt, with the smaller pulleyForg GT 1020.gif

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
It's been posted before.. . A search should bring it up...:

The installation PDF file for the FRPP Power Upgrade Kit (M-2005-GT) is located at

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/sh...d.php?p=171558

Click on the link - FordInstShtM-2005-GT[1].pdf

They are washers and are placed between the pump and the engine block -

2 shim washers are 11 mm ID
2 shim washers are 8.26 mm ID

The larger diameter shims are for the alignment dowel bolts.

Originally Posted by ViperJoe
Addition of the shims would seem prudent for all pulley replacements. What is the thickness? Are the shims available seperately?
They were included in the kit, and didn't have a separate part number. I don't recall the thickness - and they are installed and prevent a measurement. Perhaps someone has an uninstalled kit and can measure the washers for you.

Edit - I just looked in the kit box, and there were 3 extra washers - thickness of 0.156"

Last edited by RALPHIE; 01-24-2010 at 09:13 AM.

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
You most likely will not need to install shims after changing the pulley with the stock belt.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
You most likely will not need to install shims after changing the pulley with the stock belt.

Perhaps, but when Kendall used the Ford Racing parts to install my smaller pulley a few months ago, we used the shims. If they are good enough for the engineers at Ford, they are good enough for my GT!

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Thanks Guys. 0.150" sounds about right..

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Instead of doing this, I just bought a belt from Roush from their kit. It is a little smaller than the stock belt and seems to be a little better gripping. I think the belt was around $40 .. about like the stock belt in cost. I just ordered it from a ford dealer that carried the roush parts. I used Brandon Ford.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

Although many different pulley/tune kits available for the GT - we have recommended the Ford Racing solution for our customers. It is our opinion that the shims should always be installed as the shims allow the OEM belt tensioner to be in its factory neutral position. If you have any doubts, maybe you would first like to witness a Ford GT engine running and getiing some throttle blips - in a relatively unloaded position. I think you'd be surprised at the movement of the tensioner arm in this scenario. Project this experience to what must be happening in full SC load to instant no-load scenarios when the car is being driven.

Despite this, we have serviced a few GT's with the Ford Racing kit where the installer elected not to install the shims. As such, you might want to explicitly ask that ALL of the kit's components be installed.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Instead of doing this, I just bought a belt from Roush from their kit. It is a little smaller than the stock belt and seems to be a little better gripping. I think the belt was around $40 .. about like the stock belt in cost. I just ordered it from a ford dealer that carried the roush parts. I used Brandon Ford.

Part number for the belt? Would be interesting to know how much shorter than the stock one it is. Can usually tell from the part numbers.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Very good advice from Kendall, IMO.