slow oil leak

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
Hi

I have a 2005 Ford GT 2,500 miles, with a slow oil leak, so looked at oil filter, sending unit, air conditioning compressor ext. basically all over. I may have located it, is there a way the transmission pop off valve could be leaking? I cleaned the entire engine bay with pans off including near pop off drove 100 miles and now have thick heavy 80 weight oil that smells appropriately slowly coming out were pop off attaches to tranny, rather than the top of valve, picture attached (I think this is pop off valve?)

Did I over fill it when replaced oil 1,000 mile ago? Also maybe I’m driving wrong in between gears under heavy acceleration I do hear a "pop" noise sometimes that could be it?

Thank you
Steve
todayshousewares@cogeco.ca

Attachments

• pop off valve leak.jpg
    pop off valve leak.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 2

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The picture is the vent for the transaxle. It is open and it is not unusual to weep transaxle fluid from there. The transaxles have proven to be a masterful piece of engineering - but they DO run hot, especially in ambient temperatures of 22C or more. Ford recommended a transaxle cooler if the car was to see track time and/or with any HP mods which simply adds more BTUs.

Some people have added a remote reservoir/breather in place of that static vent. The breathers, in my opinion, are a classic case of addressing the symptom but not solving the problem.

A remote (higher location) breather and/or a transaxle cooler would mitigate any weeping from that vent. You might also see some small weeping from the seals where the shifting rods go into the case of the transaxle.

It is unlikely that you would have been able to overfill the transaxle assuming you filled it (as recommended) from the over-fill plug above the drain plug. The transaxles will take about 3.8-3.9 quarts of fluid.

Reactions: analogdesigner

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
OK thank you Nota4re, so vent is always open, hence the name vent I guess, ... I can try and extend the vent is there a part or I fabricate something? Maybe better in long run to install cooler?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Once upon a time there was someone selling the remote breathers - not sure if they still are. We do, however sell a transaxle cooler kit. If you do spirited driving in warmer weather, you may consider the cooler but if the car is more of a weekend cars and coffee type, a cooler wouldn't be cost effective.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I highly recommend cooltech’s transaxle cooler....they are reasonably priced and you can do the install yourself.

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
OK thank you very much