Slow Loading

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
The past couple of weeks or so I have had problems with the site loading slow and hanging at times, particularly with PMs. Just a bit ago I was unable to get a response form the server at all. I don't think the problem is with my connection because I have experienced it in different cities.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I've noticed it too.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Me Three!!

H

HHGT

Try emptying your cache. that will help as help.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
I have also found this to be true, esp. with p.m's, sporadically and independent of how much is in my browser cache (which I empty regularly).

It helps if you copy and save what you've written before trying to post (or send, in the case of pm's) so that you don't have to write it again twice.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I have also found this to be true, esp. with p.m's, sporadically and independent of how much is in my browser cache (which I empty regularly).

It helps if you copy and save what you've written before trying to post (or send, in the case of pm's) so that you don't have to write it again twice.

I agree with that. Learned it the hard way long ago.

My problem is not just PMs though. The site loads slow irrespective of PM issues. Same problem again today when I signed on just a few minutes ago.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'll see if there is an explanation. Oddly, I haven't experienced it and I'm on the site more than most.

I believe the PM problem has been a long standing vBulletin issue yet to be resolved. Firefox seems to kill it for some and I've never encountered it on either of my macs. SVTP used to kill me with it all the time on my PC. I'll see if there are any updates on that issue, but vB is still worth the hassle otherwise.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I'll see if there is an explanation. Oddly, I haven't experienced it and I'm on the site more than most.

I believe the PM problem has been a long standing vBulletin issue yet to be resolved. Firefox seems to kill it for some and I've never encountered it on either of my macs. SVTP used to kill me with it all the time on my PC. I'll see if there are any updates on that issue, but vB is still worth the hassle otherwise.

Hmmm. I'm a Firefox user. Maybe that is the problem. I'll try IE next time I experience an issue. Seems good tonight so far...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Hmmm. I'm a Firefox user. Maybe that is the problem. I'll try IE next time I experience an issue. Seems good tonight so far...

I have not had issues with the PM, I run a Mac G4 Powerbook, normally use Netscape to come on the forum, but also have Safari and FoxFire open and working at the same time. I have seen pages take a while to load, but it have never been a big issue for me.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think I've noticed a trend on problems. My Sony with IE 6 @ 10 mbs cable seems to give me problems whenever DBK is online. Dave, are you doing some PM every time you're online?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Today when posting or refreshing - the %^#$#$ IE7 locked up and I basically had to reload IE again.....

Anybody else experiencing problems?

DBK - who hosts the server?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The server is running too slow too often. It was faster when we were on the old one. Arg.

Barring an improvement, we'll be moving soon.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
The server is running too slow too often. It was faster when we were on the old one. Arg.

Anguilla would be nice. Just a suggestion.

Dave

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

Yesterday won't be soon enough IMHO. :bored

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm told the problem stems from massive spikes in the server load related to Apache. In any event, we's gettin moved.

Unfortunately not to the Caribbean.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Unfortunately not to the Caribbean.

RATS!!!!!!!!!!:bored

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
That does NOT prohibit us from having a tax dedutible board meeting in the Caribbean to discuss this!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Here! Here! I second the motion. All in favor say aye, all against can meet in Compton.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I'm have a T-1 line and use Mac G-5 work station with intel duo-core processors and mine is locking up regularly.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Yep, it seems to be getting worse [slower & more lock ups].

Hope it gets resolved soon, is kind of annoying.