Shopping for oil

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Who has the skinny on the best oil price today? (engine and trans)

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
John - my shop just goes to the dealer, orders the oil and I pay for it. Just make sure you use the Correct Ford Oil. A lot of engineering testing was done to validate its performance.

andy

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I can handle that for you.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
It's fairly reasonable at Ford Dealers now, as the GT500 and other high performance Mustangs are using it. The increased volume has brought the price down substantially, on the par with Mobil 1.

Find a dealer that will sell it to you at close to his cost.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Yes of course, only spec'd fluids. They are not always in stock locally, so was checking to see what others were doing.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Your dealer can order it. What you might find, is the buck or 2 extra you might pay at your dealer, will be surpassed by freight charges to ship it to you. If you order it from your dealer, they bring it in via Ford Distribution channels, and there is no freight (passed along to you). I buy pretty much any part I need from Torrie, but oil doesnt wind up working.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
http://www.mopar-wholesale.com/

You will have to call them as the site is not Ford friendly, but I got the proper engine and transaxle fluids from them shipped to my door much cheaper than my local Ford gouging center.

Discussion here:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?21576-Great-price-on-GT-oil

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
The Motorcraft oil specified for the Ford GT is no longer available. It was the -A spec. Long ago superseeded by the -B spec low emissions re-formulation for the Gt500. It is NOT the same oil and numerous oil analysis have shown it to be inferior to the original spec oil and indeed to many industry standard formulations that meet the required API spec. If you care about the engine in your GT and actually drive it, the currently available Motorcraft product is far from the best choice.

Yes, lots of testing went into specifing the OEM oil for the Ford GT. Then they went a different direction and decided the replacement was 'good enough' Its not the same.

For the transaxel, use nothing other than the Motorcraft which is relabled product from Ricardo.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
If you care about the engine in your GT and actually drive it said:
Do you have a recommendation on what to use other than the -B spec Motorcraft?

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Rotella T6 (5W40) or Red Line (5W50). Past 500 miles, the Rotella is actually more viscous at temp than the Motorcraft which shears down from a 5W50 to a 5W30 in very short order. Both of these oils are very stable during thier intended life and have much better wear and TBN numbers over thier life.

I really do not want to get into a long 'mine is better than yours' here. I have no dog in this other than some folks may not know that what was best for the car when built is not what is for sale as replacement today.

If it matters, I run the Rotella and have for years in many engines and many oil analysis. Please do some reading on the subject if it matters to you. Don't take the word of this 'guy on the internet'.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Don't take the word of this 'guy on the internet'.

But you are one of the few that remembered the -A and -B type of FoMoCo oil. A was discontinued 4 years ago......

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
jcthorne's comments aside for the moment,

Your dealer can order it. What you might find, is the buck or 2 extra you might pay at your dealer, will be surpassed by freight charges to ship it to you. If you order it from your dealer, they bring it in via Ford Distribution channels, and there is no freight (passed along to you). I buy pretty much any part I need from Torrie, but oil doesnt wind up working.

True enough and I appreciate the reminder that local Ford has good distribution, but the local pricing is still out of whack with what's online (for me at least). Local Ford price $11.25 after tax. Online (bought and delivered since this thread started)price $8.90 after shipping (k-mansparts.com). My local Ford dealer doesn't sell transaxle oil anymore, they went to bulk only and won't let me fill up my milk jug anymore. That's ok, last I bought from them was $36/qt, avail online $27 delv.(midwayautoparts.com) Which leaves us with the oil filter thing. Ford wants $18. It's a Mann filter you can get at Amazon for $6 (free shipping) (exact same part- Mann 925/4 complete with o-ring and copper gasket). Otherwise, I also like to buy parts from Torrie.

And Fenzo's source is correct as well (autopartstomorrow.com), best pricing out there and free shipping over $50. If they are out of stock, put your email on their call list and they will let you know when it comes in (they do replenish frequently). I've heard it mentioned they don't ship oil anymore, but when I spoke with them this week they did not say that, only that they were out of stock (ps- they don't like phone calls, only online orders, hence the lower prices).

Now back to jcthorne's [thanks for the cool wipers btw] oil notion. I haven't reviewed this but certainly sounds plausible. I'm certainly interested. May be time to rethink our lubrication.

Last edited:

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Now back to jcthorne's [thanks for the cool wipers btw] oil notion.

Hey, glad to hear you got them!

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Hey, glad to hear you got them!

Pretty awesome. Nice work. I'm conflicted now, I want it to rain, no-yes-no

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
But you are one of the few that remembered the -A and -B type of FoMoCo oil. A was discontinued 4 years ago......

I seem to recall that the 2 oils could be differentiated by color of the cap, e.g. Black cap = A (orig oil), Gold cap = B (new oil).

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...0 Full Synthetic Motor Oil&category=Motor Oil

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
You for sure have done your homework. Just pointing out what I found. My dealer gives me a nice jobber discount, not as good as torrie, but enough that I get fluids there.

YES buy the Mann filters, I got a pack (8 if I recall) years ago, and havnt used tham all....

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Kicking an old topic but it is precisely correct, so I'll do this one rather than start another. Going to change the oil on the GT and found that most places are competitive with the local dealer and outlets, all about 12-13/qt. Amazon only does cases.

But in my usual search for car parts I always compere to Rock Auto. Here's their Motorcraft 5W50 full synthetic

FORD 2006 GT 5.4L V8 Supercharged Engine Oil Price

MOTORCRAFT XO5W50QGT Full Synthetic Motor Oil - Quart Info
Oil Refill - 9.5 qts

Part image
$6.78

Click the "info" after "Quart" above, it shows the right thing. But even with shipping they are way under everyone else, but that price is 1/2 all the rest. It makes me wonder if it's the wrong price or the wrong oil. Anyone else order from them? I'm going to call tomorrow.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Rotella T-6 can often be found at $20 per gallon. In a pinch, you can find on the shelves of Home Depot.

If anyone is looking that is.